Towing Vehicles?? What do you recommend?

CD Chandler

Reaction score
I am new to towing a pontoon boat. I just got a new Bennington 20SL pontoon. I dont have a tow vehicle yet and I am looking into other options than the usual. I hear mixed reactions

to a Ford Explorer, Chevy Traverse, or Acura MDX .would either of these tow it safely or do I need to go another direction. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, first things first.

How much does your boat and trailer weigh? NOT an estimate. Most people are unpleasantly surprised as to how much the actual weight is vs. estimated weight. Fill it with gear, fuel, coolers, etc. and weigh it. A local grain elevator or any business that needs to weigh full and empty trucks will have what you need. Our local scrap metal recycler has one. Go during a NOT busy time and they should oblige your request. Unhook it from the vehicle and weigh it. This will give you the number you need to compare with the maximum towing capacity of the vehicle you are considering.

Next, how far are you planning on towing and under what conditions? Is it 3 blocks to the ramp? Or 300 miles. Are you making the trip once a year or weekly (or more?) Hilly terrain or flat? Highway or 2 lane roads? All this is important.

Find out the maximum towing capacity of the vehicles you are considering. A dealer can help you. Google may help, too. Remember that some vehicles have special towing packages that add larger brakes, transmission oil coolers, increased radiator capacity, trailer wire harnesses, etc. One vehicle without the package may have a 1500# maximum and the same vehicle with tow package may have 4000# maximum. It's not practical to "add" a tow package, so shop accordingly. Also remember that just because a vehicle has a trailer hitch installed does NOT mean it has a towing package.

Ask a lot of questions. My wife has a Toyota RAV4. As it turns out, a hitch can be added for a few hundred bucks, but there is no way to wire trailer lights from the back of the car. A harness must be installed from under the hood to the rear of the car and that is an expen$ive job.

Finally, as you have started here, ask people who are already towing. But do have your weight numbers before digging too deeply. I tow my rig with a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup, but that doesn't make that the right choice for your boat/trailer situation.

Post up additional questions and Happy Boating!

Thanks so much, I have talked to a many people at the boat dealer, I am going to have to weigh it. I estimated around 3500 to 4000 lbs loaded. Thats why i was looking at those vehicles. Anyway, it may be best to get a pickup, trying to avoid because my wife hates to drive a large truck.

Anyway thanks for the quick reply !

Not necessarily a pickup. GMC provides this reference. The other manufacturers will too. Google is your friend here.

If you are looking used, there will be an option code somewhere on the vehicle (glovebox, for example) where you will find it. Some vehicles post on a sticker in the door opening or under the hood as to the max towing.

http://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing/towing-charts.html

My primary tow vehicle is a HD gm truck, secondary a Honda Pilot.  Both will work, but the truck is a far better choice.  As stated, gather all the factors.  Simply put, a full frame truck or suv is a good choice.  V8 is better with an exception for eco boost fords.  

I pulled our last boat (22sslx with a yamaha 115) with a GMC Acadia and didn't have any issues. And Randy, what about something like this for the rav4? http://www.grainger.com/product/20PP65?gclid=CNSa45SEsswCFQ6maQodjZcFmQ&cm_mmc=PPC:GOOGLEPLAA-_-Fleet%20and%20Vehicle%20Maintenance-_-Automotive%20Towing-_-20PP65&AL!2966!3!50916716517!!!g!82495874757!&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916716517!!!g!82495874757!&ef_id=VV3WAwAABJvZjlvc:20160428190905:s

I installed a hitch on the acadia and had to add a light harness. Only took a couple minutes and plugged into the existing wiring at each tail light.

That would be slick. Not sure they make that for the newest models.

No real need to tow with her buggy anyway. Just used it as an example. My HD will tow anything I need to be towing.

Good topic!  I'm interested in what people tow with also.  I have a Rav4 and hubby has a Highlander with towing package and the new boat will be close to the limits of his Highlander.  I have been contemplating trading in my Rav4 for a F-150 3.5L V6 ecoboost as I have heard good things about them.  Thing is, we just paid off both vehicles last month and not really looking forward to jumping into another payment right away.   :mellow:   

Before we double up here is an old thread with a lot of info.

I'll throw my 2 cents in.  Any vehicle can likely tow something, it's all about being able to stop it that's the problem.  I have seen far too many people towing trailers much too heavy for their rig fly through intersections because they couldn't stop.  Also, any time that whatever you're towing exceeds the GVW of the vehicle you really need to be cognizant of what you're doing.  It may also require additional equipment like load stabilization bars, sway bars, etc.

If you err, always do it on the side of safety. Look at your pontoon on the trailer, notice how wide it is? Towing means not only being able to get it rolling and keep it moving, but also stopping it safely. Then there is this little thing called rear vision. There is no good way to get mirrors with a wide enough view to see anything to the rear besides the boat a trailer with a small vehicle. That's why full size trucks have wide mirrors and available extended towing mirrors. 

Think about boat ramps while you are thinking about towing. They get wet and slippery, have a varying degree of incline, and you are going to trust a relatively small vehicle to not only back the boat down the ramp, but also be able to pull it back up the ramp? Oh, and stop both the tow vehicle and trailer from sinking below the water. Lots of video fails on this subject are available.

Let some common sense prevail and remember that your and your families safety has a value. So does the safety of everyone you meet on the road while traveling to your destination. 

I have a brother in law that was towing an 18 foot pontoon with a Chevy S-10 pick-up and a bumper, not frame hitch. It made me nervous every time I rode with him to the boat ramp. One day, it was raining when he was towing the boat back home, and as he tried to slow for a sharp corner, the weight of the boat and trailer pushing forward pushed the bumper up and unloaded the rear wheels enough that he lost traction and ran the truck, trailer and boat down an embankment into a storm drainage ditch. Luckily, other than some damaged metal, only his pride was injured. Next week he went out and bought a full size Ford F-150 with a class 4 hitch and trailer towing package. 

Common sense should always factor heavily into everything you do with your new Benni! Towing can be pleasant if you are properly prepared for it, and a nightmare if you are trying to "get by with what you have". Don't be "that" guy, or gal!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree with everything said here and would also reiterate Tooner's comment on the ramp.

We tow our 21SLX with a 150 with our '13 Tahoe. It tows great. I do have to be careful backing down the ramp at the river. It is steep and I have to go slowly to make sure the Tahoe doesn't get wet.

It does help that the boat slows things down when it hits the water. The Tahoe sliding down the ramp backing in does make things interesting.

When you weigh your boat, be sure to have to full of fuel, not just your "stuff".

Brian

I can't believe that no one on this forum has advised,buy as big as the budget will allow   LOL    All kidding aside.  You should never tow with an under powered or boarder line GCWR (gross combined weight rating) vehicle. You will destroy the vehicle mechanically by pushing the upper limits of the vehicle ratings. A lastly,make sure you buy a good trailer that has a hitch surge brake with disc brakes. Good luck with your search for a vehicle. By the way, I tow with a F250 with a 6.0 diesel.

Spent my money on the big motor and couldn't afford that option. You know how it goes,less horse power more options! LOL

Spent my money on the big motor and couldn't afford that option. You know how it goes,less horse power more options! LOL

All the Ford guys up here in Michigan order the heated tailgate. Keeps their hands warm when they have to push it home! ;-)

Hard to pass up the chance to diss a Ford guy, but since we both own a Bennie, it's all good!

All the Ford guys up here in Michigan order the heated tailgate. Keeps their hands warm when they have to push it home! ;-)

Hard to pass up the chance to diss a Ford guy, but since we both own a Bennie, it's all good!

Actually,my favorite vehicle to drive is a Chevy Express conversion van. But its both under powered and the GCWR is to low to pull the boat properly. See, I do follow the rules.And so I consider myself as an equal opportunity person.

Actually,my favorite vehicle to drive is a Chevy Express conversion van. But its both under powered and the GCWR is to low to pull the boat properly. See, I do follow the rules.And so I consider myself as an equal opportunity person.

All in good fun, Bob! Happy Boating.

Back