Trailer Choice Help

Armycopter

Reaction score
I am new to pontoon boats but I bought a 20SL recently without a trailer. I am going to look at two trailers tomorrow. A single axle without brakes and a dual axle with brakes. The guy selling the trailers say you don’t usually need brakes with a 20 foot pontoon boat (70HP motor). Is that true? My last fishing boat (22 foot walk around) had a single axle but it had surge brakes.

Going to look early tomorrow am so I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Depends on state laws. Depending on where you live, what you’re towing with and how far you plan to tow will help determine what is best.

Thank you for the reply. I have a 3/4 ton truck with a 6.4L engine. I will likely be towing a couple of weekends per month during the summer anywhere from 10-30 miles from my home. I think our state requires brakes on loads over 4500 lbs. The boat, motor, gear weigh approx 2500 lbs (rough calc). Not sure what the trailer itself weighs but its steel not alum or galvanized.

Tandem axle with surge brakes would be my vote. More stable tracking and secure knowing a blowout tire will be less tramatic with another axle/tire to support weight. It will cost more than the single axle for sure.

The one issue I forgot to mention is that the tandem trailer he has is for a 24 not a 20. He said it will work but I am not so sure. Seems like it would be too long and cause issues with the tongue weight.

If the axles are adjustable, then you can probably dial it in for the proper tongue weight, if the articulation range is there to do it.

Getting a tandem axle is always the better choice, in my opinion.

Brakes are a must, no matter what size pontoon, because they are heavy boats, so protect that investment with everything you can throw at it.

You may want a larger Benny in future so if trailer would be adjustable for your current Benny, you could upgrade boat later and still have a trailer that works. You would want trailer to have center pontoon support for sure as that is a must have for your future Benny if this one isn't a triple toon.

I recently traded my 2013 Benny up to a 2017 Benny 22 SSRCX SPS F150 with EZ Loader tandem trailer. This trailer has what they call "the vault" wheel bearings that are sealed with a gear oil reservoir that requires no maintenance! Apparently if the bearings ever go bad the entire sealed hub gets replaced. Beats the heck out of grease slinging spring loaded cups on outside of hub that has been common design for several years. I didn't realize such a thing existed. Pleasantly surprised!

Well I didn’t buy either of the trailers. They were new and looked nice but I have decided to keep looking. I might just need to order one and have it shipped that is even possible. If anyone knows where I can find (and get delivered to Maine) a tandem trailer with brakes for a 20 footer, I would appreciate a link. I have looked at a couple so far. Genesis trailers was one I think.

There should be some Load Rite dealers near you.

The one issue I forgot to mention is that the tandem trailer he has is for a 24 not a 20. He said it will work but I am not so sure. Seems like it would be too long and cause issues with the tongue weight.

I would be looking for another dealer if he cannot get you the right length trailer. I had a 22’-24’ trailer for my 20’ pontoon from the dealer because that’s all they had. If id known better I would have bought my own which is what I ended up doing anyway. I traded for a proper length trailer and it shortened up my overall length by 3.5’ and tows way better having the boat closer to the truck. Only one downside is having to back the truck tires into the water at the ramp now.

Also , its a Toon Toter brand tandem axle , with no brakes. I have an F150 and F250 both and either one will tow it just fine without brakes. It would be better with brakes obviously but use that grey matter between the ears and things are fine with the weight we are talking about.

I have a single axle Load Rite trailer without brakes. I have no trouble pulling it with my Avalanche. It rides nice and has no trouble stopping. I seem to recall it having a 3500 lb rating.

The yacht club trailer I looked at (20 foot, single axle, no brakes) had a max load of 2300 lbs. I felt that was cutting it a little too close. My boat weighs just under 1800 without motor, gas, and equipment.

Don't get a trailer GVW that is close your dry weight. You will load lots of stuff on the boat and the trailer will suffer. I am replacing our trailer because it can not handle the weight. FYI, because of boat sales it is an 8 week wait to get the trailer.

Back