Trailer Help

mbhenry1955

Reaction score
We ordered a 2016 2250 GSR.

Do we get the painted trailer or pay 600.00 up charge for the galvanized?

The trailer will see the lake about 8 times a year as we have a slip.

Our last trailer was painted and after 16 years had very little rust and was in and out of the water several times a weekend as we

didn't have a slip for it.

What's your experiences?

Thanks

unless you plan on salt water use, I would not spend the extra. 

I've had both. Agree with Remediation......don't spend the extra money if you're not going to be in saltwater......

Just so you are aware, the painted trailer will rust from the inside out because there is no paint on the inside.

The failure may occur before you see the rust. I would get another price somewhere else just to be sure. 600 seems like a lot for the upgrade! Check out Venture trailers.

Keeping the painted trailer stored in a dry location will help reduce the rusting from the inside out but it will over time rust. My old trailer was stored inside and had very little rust on the inside of the tubing when I sold the boat. If I could not store in a dry location I would go with the galvanized. I would check prices. I have seen galvanized before for less than $200 more. There are several large trailer dealers in Kentucky that would be failry close to you that may have a much better deal.

I went with galvanized. I didn't want to deal with rust.

My Malibu ski boat trailer is 20 years old and has enough rust (inside --> out) that I had to have metal patch plates welded to the cross members. A little Rustoleum spray paint and she's solid as a rock again. The grinding and welding was $125 plus the metal stock...which if I remember right ran another $45. 

We don't live on a lake and don't have a slip, and put hundreds of hours on a year dropping the ski boat in the water 2 - 4 times a week during the summer. 

I thought that would be worthwhile anecdotal information to support the idea that unless you are in salt water, a high quality painted trailer has a serviceable life as long as the boat. Emphasis on "high quality painted trailer" though.

We went with a Phoenix for our 2250. Very pleased. It's a very beasty trailer. Much more robust than more common offerings like Mid-America. They're built in MI, so they should be available in Ohio. My dealer's standard issue trailer is Mid-America. We were able to see both of them side by side as a different customer had specifically ordered a Phoenix. The whole decision process to at least 30 seconds - for me to point at the Phoenix and say "get me one of those please". 

Which trailer did you get JeffS?  Did you add any goodies?

He's been MIA for a while so don't hold your breath for a response.

Back