Trailer weight rating

Crowbar

Reaction score
Im looking at new trailers for a 22slx with a 115 hp. Should I get 3000 or 4000 lb rated trailer? Im looking at tandem axle, galvanized bunk. Trailer wont be used very often, but maybe once a year to travel 75 mi. to different lake! Mostly for launch in spring & haul in fall. Maybe an occasional haul 20 miles for maintainance.

Any suggestions will be helpful!

My 24SSL with motor AND trailer weighs just over 5000lbs. I don't know what the trailer weighs by itself, or if that needs to be included in the total amount or not. I weighed it once at a truck stop.

There was a detailed thread on this a year ago or so....

Just my thoughts here.

You need to know what your trailer and boat will weigh as a unit.  Axles are weight rated for a reason.  Overloading will cause serious damage to all components in the axle assembly over time.  Its no fun to be sitting on the side of the road on the way to the lake with a bearing problem.

After that, my suggestion is to buy the heaviest unit affordable for the money.  There is an economic threshold in all things we do.  Figure yours out and do the best you can.

Good luck.

andy

Just my thoughts here.

You need to know what your trailer and boat will weigh as a unit.  Axles are weight rated for a reason.  Overloading will cause serious damage to all components in the axle assembly over time.  Its no fun to be sitting on the side of the road on the way to the lake with a bearing problem.

After that, my suggestion is to buy the heaviest unit affordable for the money.  There is an economic threshold in all things we do.  Figure yours out and do the best you can.

Good luck.

andy
This is great advice!

I trailered boats a lot before we owned lakefront property, and towed my daughter's horses to shows every weekend for many years. I've also had my share of bad experiences with new tires blowing out, fried bearings, crummy lights, brake failures, etc., but particularly some very bad advice from dealers. They either uninformed or simply want to get you out the door for the least amount of money.

I also learned quickly that the Bennington weight "spec" is far from accurate. As some have said, check it on a scale and they weigh much more, even without the typical gear on board. The trailer load rating is limited more by the axles and tires. The frames themselves actually flex a little bit by design.

There is some good information HERE about load ratings.

I'd just assume yours is heavier than you think and go with the 4000lb, if it's within reason. You won't regret it.

That link for trailers was very helpfull, thank you. Bennington says the boat is just under 2200 & yamaha says the motor is 400 lb, so I was figuring a total with fuel & battery & some equipment, to be just around 3000 lb. I was not taking into account, the weight of the trailer( which I dont know)! I guess I need to do more research. Too bad Bennington did not offer a trailer option! That would make this a lot easier,and that company is in the same town as bennington.

That link for trailers was very helpfull, thank you. Bennington says the boat is just under 2200 & yamaha says the motor is 400 lb, so I was figuring a total with fuel & battery & some equipment, to be just around 3000 lb. I was not taking into account, the weight of the trailer( which I dont know)! I guess I need to do more research. Too bad Bennington did not offer a trailer option! That would make this a lot easier,and that company is in the same town as bennington.
A tandem trailer is ~1000-1500# by itself.

I am on the extreme side but posting is support of how much underestimated weight can be. My boat is 4200 pounds and my trailer is 1800 pounds. With fuel and some hear, I am over 6000 pounds traveling down the road.

Back