trailer

bassn429

Reaction score
Just picked up our new 2012 20sl today on a genesiss trailer . My ? is should i have a motor support bracket on the motor for trailering like i did on my old speedboat. and what do u guys & gals use . brand and where available. Or do u just trailer it with the motor all the way down. thanks in advance

I don't use a brace like I did on my other boats. I trailer mine in the down position all the time. Then again, my furthest pull has been about 2 miles!

Hi Bassin, i trailer with mine down also, i tried trailering with it up, but the motor seemed to bounce alot. Be sure to check your height with it hooked to your truck, mine has about 18" from the skeg to the ground. Hope this helps!

Most all of the larger newer outboard will say right in the owners manual do not tow with the motor up, espically trimmed up all the way and then set to rest on the tilt tab. The tilt tab is for service, stationary use only, not trailering. If the motor skag it to close to the ground to trailer down then most reccommend the new style plastic wedges that holds the motor up between the trim pistons and the motor transom mount or motor frame. In general the old trailer frame to motor support is no longer considered optimal protection as it transfers vibration and shock load to the motor mount points. I did use one for years with no issues, but now I use the motor wedge which to me does make more sense.

I was told to trailer it all the way down, and when I bought it, I towed it 100+ miles home that way with no problems. On our boat, the motor skag sits higher than the trailer axle, so trailering it in the full down position made perfect sense to me. You might want to check that on your setup (make sure your skag is higher off the ground than the axle).

Dmctruby's comment about the plastic wedges as a shock absorber makes a lot of sense to me though.

Where did you get these?

Google transom saver. Most of the major marine suppliers have them. No need to get fancy with them, stay away from the gadgets, the simple wedges work fine.

I was told to trailer it all the way down, and when I bought it, I towed it 100+ miles home that way with no problems. On our boat, the motor skag sits higher than the trailer axle, so trailering it in the full down position made perfect sense to me. You might want to check that on your setup (make sure your skag is higher off the ground than the axle).

Dmctruby's comment about the plastic wedges as a shock absorber makes a lot of sense to me though.

Where did you get these?

One thought I have about using the wedges instead of the older style trailer to engine support: The wedges place ALL the vibration and shaking forces from the motor movement on the transom, while the support to the trailer would disapate some of that energy to the trailer. While it may not be a big deal with a 60 hp engine, with a 250 hp 600 lb engine it may make a difference. Also on twin tube toons, the transom is not as well supported as ones mounted on the end of a tube like on a tri-tube toon.

The problem is the reverse. A properly installed engine handles plenty of vibration and torque under use when on the water. They are designed for that. Those trailer support connect the trailer and all the forces of road bumps and vibrations right to engine at a centralized spot, that is not ideal.

One thought I have about using the wedges instead of the older style trailer to engine support: The wedges place ALL the vibration and shaking forces from the motor movement on the transom, while the support to the trailer would disapate some of that energy to the trailer. While it may not be a big deal with a 60 hp engine, with a 250 hp 600 lb engine it may make a difference. Also on twin tube toons, the transom is not as well supported as ones mounted on the end of a tube like on a tri-tube toon.

Back