Trailering question

keithkz

Reaction score
Those of you who trailer your pontoon boat long distances.....do you use a custom made trailering cover or just leave it open (no cover at all....I know you should never trailer with the playpen cover on)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Furthest I've travelled is 5 1/2 hours to and from my dealer, uncovered.. 

Yeah when I first bought mine I trailers it from eastern PA to my home in south central Michigan. My main questions regarding this is if you get any better gas mileage with a trailering cover on.....and also for keeping the boat clean.

Trailer all the time, had a cover made that covers the whole boat to under the rub rail. Best money I ever spent, as it never fails I either tow the lake in the rain or it rains on the way home. My trip is 5-1/2 hrs each way. I'll try to post a photo.

Used to leave the cover on for the quick 2 mile run to undercover storage in the fall and back to the marina in the spring when we lived in Virginia. (What can happen in 2 miles right?!? Ha!) 

Took  the cover off for the 6-7 hour drive to Lake Norman. Thank God we had beautiful weather that day! Got a whole 11-12 mpg.......

Actually it's way more about keeping it clean.

Actually it's way more about keeping it clean.

Had a few bugs in the front but I prepared for that and waxed the panels before I left. Came right off......

Keith, 

Just pm with an email and I'll shoot you over the pictures, can't get them to load on here. I had to modify my trailer but it could give you a few ideas. 

Scott

Yeah that's what I'm talking about.  Very nice.

For now, I had a local shop add straps to the front of my mooring cover.  I tow with it when we go on longer trips.  I would not use it otherwise as the Benni stays in the barn.  When it fails I will have a good one made.  There is a pic in my gallery.

I had a cover made. Photo's in my gallery.  

I'm thinking about something similar.  I have three lake options between 30 & 100 miles of home so we're always towing.  How fast have you gone with any of those covers on?  Very few people on the roads out here in the middle of nowhere and our speed limit is 80.  Curious how much of that I could use.

I've been up to 85 passing on the interstate traveling 75 consistently. With mine snapped all the way around the base I had zero ceoncern and the poles did not move.

I've maintained 70+ with mine, a little more for passing. Cumberland in August will be our third long trip with it.

I always remove our cover and run topless. I don't tow that far though so I am able to check the weather and go on nice days. I do have to remove a seat cushion but that is it.

I wear a little grin...and a lot of skin. 

Back