Trailering with cover

Dlstirton

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2018 25SSBXP and would like to get some opinions on pulling the boat while covered, please share your thoughts and experiences.

There are members that have had a cover made specifically for trailering. But the regular mooring cover wasn't made for that purpose. I have always trailered with the cover off....

Mooring covers and travel covers are 2 separate things really. Mooring cover or dock cover isn't designed for trailering. Only time I trailer when covered. Is going from my house to storage. About 15 minutes away. And I never get up to good highway speed. About 40 mph. Weakens the snaps. And the poles aren't really made to take that kind of force of 60, 70, 80mph. For long road trips of even an hour IMO. Now the covers that fit separately over each seat and helm. Depending on how they secure to the deck. I think it would be a better option if you want covered. When I travel long distances. I trailer open boat. Everything stowed and secured. Mooring cover and poles in a big military style duffle bag. It lays on the deck behind helm & stern gate. Fits nice and snug back there. Travel covers I have seen have no poles.

I have trailered to Lake Cumberland and Lake Wawasee from central Ohio with mooring cover. So far no issues, I had straps added to front of cover and use bungee cords for reinforcement.

Our traveling cover did use poles. It was much thicker material and attached below the deck, keeping the entire boat watertight.
It was in 2 pieces with a zipper so one person could lift onto the boat. It was $1200 compared to a replacement mooring cover for $700. The mooring covers are trailered often but they can fail and are not warrantied if they do.

Back