Trailering

Roland

Reaction score
Hello everyone... have a question for you... I own a benny 20SFI rigged with a yamaha F75. I trailer my boat every weekend, but up until now have never used a transom saver.. I have always pulled the boat with the motor trimmed all the way down. But my son recently experienced some damage issues with his boat and the repair shop told him it was because he didn't use a transom saver. So I guess the first question I have is, do you use a TS when towing your pontoon boats? If so what type of ts do you use. I came across a wedge that fits on the cylinder bar that raises and lowers the motor. At first I thought, that's the answer, but after thinking about it I began to question it's use because as far as I can tell it does nothing to take the weight off the transom, it just suspends your motor in a trimmed up position for trailering. The gentleman that owns the company emailed me and told me he makes his product for Yamaha, so that's a positive. but again, my concern is that it doesn't take any weight off the transom. Like I said at the start, never used any type of ts so far and so far havent had any issues, but don't want to push my luck... I'd appreciate any advice you could throw at me. Thank you in advance for your help.

Towing with engine down if you have the clearance puts the weight of the engine inline with the transom which is the best. We have a 2002 toon with a 90HP that has at least 20,000 miles of towing with the engine down and the transom is in great shape.

I don't. Since I can tow the boat with the motor in the fully down position. It was my understanding that you should use one if you have to have your motor trimmed up because you don't want to just leave it with the little "lock tab" so the wedges work well for that. I know some people on here use the lock tab and have never had a problem. I don't know what kind of damage your sons boat had, or what kind if boat, but I believe towing in the vertical, trimmed all the way down, route is the best.

Derrick

Roland, Your question is interesting. IMHO, the answer is somewhat complex, because of variables involved. Two of the most relative forces are dynamic and static. Dynamic load is a variable seen as the trailer/boat is in motion. The dynamic shock load is then subject to impact created by such events as the pot hole, speed bump and etc. Subject to the trailer design and other factors (Transom Tie Downs, Center of Gravity, Tire Pressure, speed, Etc.) there will be more or less trailer rigidity. Trailer rigidity then translates to a summarized movement of the "Transom Saver" supporting cross-member. While the "Transom Saver" may be installed to create a 45* static gusset, the "Transom Saver" can do little work if the trailer/cross-member deflects. In fact, during deflection, the "Transom Saver" may promote a spring type recoil.

Static load is the load seen when everything is stopped or at rest. Dynamic load is when mass is in motion.

That said, subject to the engine weight, transom benefit may be found by tilting the engine. Typically, the engine is heavier above the rotating hinge pin. Once the engine is tilted/rotated, load moves forward, exponentially to angle of rotation and engine weight. The event is then seen by the transom as counter balance. Thus, "Transom Saver" is perceived as a total solution.

However, subject to above variables, tilting the engine may be more liability than benefit. Also, Engine Cylinder pistons may be corrupted, hydraulic cylinder rams are exposed, and etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you a lawyer with all those technical terms ??? :lol:

You guys are to much, no respect for your elders, LOL......Do I really sound "Didactic" ??? So sorry, LOL

I believe I also am up in your rarified atmosphere of life CcanDo, (agewise, not intellectually), so I only make fun of the younger guys, like our Rye drinker from the North, the one and only Cadillac Derrick. :D Gerry

I believe I also am up in your rarified atmosphere of life CcanDo, (agewise, not intellectually), so I only make fun of the younger guys, like our Rye drinker from the North, the one and only Cadillac Derrick. :D Gerry
Hi Gerry, Thanks for your support.

About your intellectual statement, I question that. About the age statement, why, I bet I have Great Grand Kids older than you are! Bennington wasn't even around when Noah and I built that big boat.

Now, for the "Guy from the other side", sure to bad it gets so cold they have to stay REAL close to the "Anti-Freeze". I've heard it said, to them, Spring Thaw is what we call a trip to Shick. LOL

You guys are all just jealous that us northerners never run out of ice for our drinks, heck, sometimes I just set the drink in the snow for a minute and it's ready to go!

CcanDo, what is this Thaw thing you speak of? You southerners and your fancy words. This reminds me of a story, I'm originally from Thompson Manitoba, which is about 7.5 hours driving straight north of where I live now, anyway, we had a cold weather testing facility that was built in conjunction with Ford, but before that every car maker came there because we had the most regular freezing cold weather around! I got to see all the new vehicles before they came out, the mustang when it changed body styling, Land Rover, Renault, I still remember laughing when I saw about 4 Porsche 911's parked at the hotel, hoods up, no passenger seats, just a bunch of wires and computers and I thought to myself, is anyone that can afford a 911 going to be driving it in -40 Click and a foot of snow? I doubt it. The army actually sent up true H1 Humvee's, with gun turrets (no gun) to see how they would run on jet fuel in the winter because they didn't want to have to worry about having 2 fuel sources if they were in a secluded area. They actually let the GM dealership owner go and pick his kids up at school in it since they were storing and using they're facility. He drove and parked on this HUGE snow pile in front of the school, it was pretty cool. All the PT Cruisers were tested up there. They hired about 20-30 people to drive them all day and put miles on them to check for wear and tear, a lot of companies would come up and use our ice roads and follow directly behind another vehicle so the snow would get sucked in and PACKED under the hood. Some would have the cars all body cladded up when they were doing big changes to the body style, yup, and pretty much every snowmobile company came up. A lot of them would let you ride them too. Yamaha was good for that, they only had one guy that spoke anything remotely close to English, but they were super friendly and more than happy to show you, they didn't often open the cowling for you, but didn't care if you wanted to come and look. Now they just finished a year or to ago a testing facility for I believe it's jet engines, I can't remember what company built it, but they offered tours when it first opened as a little appreciation to the citizens of Thompson, it was a pretty neat place to live back in the day.

Derrick

Gentlemen.... I appreciate the "education".. :blink: but all I really wanted to know is if you think a transom saver should be used on pontoon boats - if so do you like the bar type, the motormate or wedge version.... just curious...

Derrick, Thanks for sharing the "Cold Test Lab Story". Good reed !

My un-un-unabridged Websters defines; "Spring Thaw", see, "www.schickshadel.com" . Now, being from Southern Montana (where it is warm) I don't personally know about such matters. However, the Canadian Border was close enough that conversations WERE overheard. Naturally, those conversations led curiosity to the un-un-unabridged Webster for a further definition.....Now you know the rest of the story....Good Day !! LOL

Gentlemen.... I appreciate the "education".. :blink: but all I really wanted to know is if you think a transom saver should be used on pontoon boats - if so do you like the bar type, the motormate or wedge version.... just curious...
Hey Roland, sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread with our useless knowledge posts. In our defense, we did give you our thoughts first. If you have the clearance to have motor in the full down position, do it. If you don't have room, I'm not sure. The bar type could transfer rough roads to the motor from the trailer, wedge type could still allow some 'bounce' in the lower unit. So trailer in down position if possible. Just my opinion.

Derrick

Hey Rowland, I don't trailer, but if I did and couldn't put the motor down, I would use a transome saver (the bar type). BTW, how did the fishfinder work out?

Roland, No one intended any disrespect, only good clean fun. I'm sorry if anything said was taken any other way.

The Transom Saver is your call. Your first post stated, you haul your boat on a regular schedule, with no problems. Members dialog was intended to provide insight into pro and con questions you may have. And, in part, respond to your dealer (s) suggestions.

Hey Roland, sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread with our useless knowledge posts. In our defense, we did give you our thoughts first. If you have the clearance to have motor in the full down position, do it. If you don't have room, I'm not sure. The bar type could transfer rough roads to the motor from the trailer, wedge type could still allow some 'bounce' in the lower unit. So trailer in down position if possible. Just my opinion.

Derrick
Oh no problem my friend... I didn't mean to come off like a jerk... actually I was just teasing / playing. I wasn't the least bit upset... and thanks for your input on the ts.... I do have the clearance so I'm going to do just that... No ts and tow with the motor trimmed all the way down.. thanks again.. and again I apolgize for coming off that way... I certainly did not mean anything by it.

Roland

Hey Rowland, I don't trailer, but if I did and couldn't put the motor down, I would use a transome saver (the bar type). BTW, how did the fishfinder work out?
Hi Carl... I gave the Garmin I purchased from you to my son for his boat. He had no idea I had bought one for his boat. He was thrilled.. Thanks again..

Roland

Roland, No one intended any disrespect, only good clean fun. I'm sorry if anything said was taken any other way.

The Transom Saver is your call. Your first post stated, you haul your boat on a regular schedule, with no problems. Members dialog was intended to provide insight into pro and con questions you may have. And, in part, respond to your dealer (s) suggestions.
CcanDo... no apology necessary. I was just playing with you guys and what I said was misunderstood... I wasn't the least bit upset about anything.... like I said, just teasing with you guys... no harm no foul....

Roland

Oh no problem my friend... I didn't mean to come off like a jerk... actually I was just teasing / playing. I wasn't the least bit upset... and thanks for your input on the ts.... I do have the clearance so I'm going to do just that... No ts and tow with the motor trimmed all the way down.. thanks again.. and again I apolgize for coming off that way... I certainly did not mean anything by it.

Roland
WELL, IN THAT CASE, did I ever tell you guys about the time I went to Churchill? I believe it is still the Polar Bear Capital of the world,so they say. Pretty neat place. Went there for a grade 8 class trip! It was a ridiculous long train ride, I look back now and feel sorry for our teacher! I think there was 25 or so of us and 2 teachers! I'm SURE they had to have a secret stash of booze to get through that week! Went canoeing, saw polar bears at the Polar Bear Jail, yup they have a jail for polar bears! whenever bears come into town they catch them and put them in jail until they can helicopter them a long ways away. They also tag them so if the same bear keeps coming back, they will know and deal with it shall we say. Got to see whales too. Pretty neat place to visit.

Derrick

Back