Trailers

Link

Reaction score
Bought 2011RL w 115Yamaha leftover from a great dealer to work with, Point Breeze Marina in Saratoga Springs, NY. Discussed how we use boat we are on a 125mile shoreline lake 29 miles long. Two years ago we bought a cabin with a dock and after that we never towed it to any other lake. Only use the trailer to pit in at the beginninbg of summer and take out and inside storeage it on the trailer in the winter. Dealer says go with single axle trailer which I thought sounded right, told me if I upgrade to a double axle add $900. I may never travel with the boat but I would hate to want to and then be afraid to travel with the single axle. Like to hear your thoughts

Well, there are a lot of variables, but I think 2500 pounds is a good break point between single and dual axles.

Keep something else in mind... Your trailer capacity is in large part determined by how large a volume of air you can put in your tires. That and whether your physical structure is up to it of course...

Point is; the more tires you have, the less pressure you need in them to do the job and the softer they ride. That's an oversimplification, but it gets the idea across. 4 tires will be able to use a few pounds less pressure to hold the weight safely and will ride softer for the boat as a result.

Or at least that's how it was explained to me way back when them newfangled rubber thingies replaced wood. :D

Single axle is going to work fine. If you where going to Tow a lot, then I would get a dual axle. But it sounds like you will tow infrequently, so single is good to go.

I think a single axle trailer will be fine for you. Just don't forget about your trailer. If it is stored outside keep the tires covered. Keep the tires properly inflated. If sitting off pavement, place patio stones where tires will sit. Service the axle bearings, and take the trailer for a spin occasionally. This moves the grease around and keeps the tires from taking a set.

Thank everyone for all their input. This forum has been really helpful to me

As Eric pointed out, that is where Dualie trucks came from, more tires = more load. I'm sure resale and appeal to a much broader range of buyers down the road would be close to compensating for the $900. Just my opinion. Steve

Brakes are another thing to consider since they have considerable expense. You could save $500-600 by foregoing brakes, but ONLY if you're just trailering in and out and storing it at the lake (as in towing mostly off road). Brakes are required on roads in most states at weights over 3000 lbs (which, including the weight of the trailer, puts nearly all pontoon boats over the limit). But, just something to consider if you're looking to save cost. Brakes need maintenance, so if you're just staying near the lake with it, you avoid that as well.

Do NOT even THINK about driving at any significant speed without brakes!

I'm in pretty much the same situation - Our boat stays at the lake all year. Indoor storage for winter is on site. BUT, I will occasionally bring it to the house to clean up, so brakes were necessary for that.

After reading and thinking about your answers I realized I should have included the fact that I am towing with a 2004 Pacifica. Realize it can tow 3500 lbs but have concern aboot braking due to fact it is not a truck. With this new fact in mind does it change any of your answers

double axle and brakes. Agreed. Better resale. A lot easier to control when trailering compared to a single axle. ie backing up at the ramp. Any hills to go down? Vacationing at another lake? Just plain bored with your home lake? You will not be sorry with a quality trailer.

If you plan on towing any distance, get a double axle with brakes. Better to be safe then sorry. If you really are going to just pull it in and out of the water to store it, then a single axle is fine. I have a double axle with brakes and it tows great.

It comes down to tongue weight. I would go tandem on a 22 foot boat. to get it to trailer properly with that length of boat towing with a pacifica it will be more stable and safer with a tandem as you can adjust the axle position to balance the load better especially since the Pacifica probably has a very low towing rating and a very light rating for tongue weight. with a single axle trailer you have more tongue weight to get the trailer to be stable. if the load is to far back then you wind up with a scenario where the trailer is driving the tow rig.

Watch your weight;

Your 2275 is near 2400lbs, the engine is close to another 400, add fuel in the boat, and all your equipment stored in the boat (maybe another 300lbs). This puts you at about 3100lbs without the weight of the trailer. Two axles weigh more....

It honestly sounds like your Pacifica will be maxed out for any lengthy tow. With this said you may only truely use it for storage purposes which leads me to the single axle trailer.

No question the dual axle with brakes is much better option for towing.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Well today is the day, going to dealer to pay in full and claim my first Bennie, first pontoon. Today is the day I have to make final decision on upgrading the single axle trailer to a dual. I used the search and read every single article on trailers and am still undecided.

Can afford the dual trailer but hate to waste money on something not needed. Probably will end up with the dual just to be safe. How much maintainance for brakes that go in and out of the water?

Resale will be a lot easier and better for a tandem axle in the future as well.

Although it's even more weight, your pacifica would have an easier time with a dual axle trailer. Plus, if you ever want to go somewhere longer distance and you either rent a truck/van to tow it or you buy an older pickup or something to tow it, your trailer is already up to snuff.

Maybe you DON'T need a dual axle trailer... only you can make that decision. BUT... beware the trap of false economy.

I know one thing, you will know you made the wrong decision when you have a tire blowout on a single axle.

I have an Envoy Denali (V8 and towing package) and it tows 6500 lbs. It really bogs down due to the weight of the boat, and your Pacifica would likely be worse. Based on how it accelerates, I would think quick DECELERATION would be REALLY SCARY without brakes.

I can really feel the boat is there when accelerating, but the brakes work so well that it's almost like the boat isn't there when I have to stop quick.

Get brakes. Maintenance isn't significant.

I also have 24SLi that sits on a dual axle trailer with brakes - mine is a 2012 yacht club. I think there was about $900 difference between the single axle without brakes and mine. Either way it was just under $3K for the trailer (I think).

I tow with 1500 Ram with 5.7L and could probably have gotten away with a single axle. However, the extra comfort and ability to tow with my wife's Pilot is what made me go with the bigger trailer. Haven't had much experience towing - so far just in and out of the lake one time (we have a slip).

Shawn

Thanks for all your replies and comments!! I spent the $900 extra and went with the dual axle trailer with brakes. I owned the Pacifica prior to owning a boat [first boat was a 1998 Searc Suntastic bought 2 years ago]. My Pacifica is a 2004 so I can see me upgrading to a better towing vehicle now that I am into boats. So even if I never leave the lake in the next couple of years I still have all options and I did agree with resale down the road.

Back