Transducer placement

textman

Reaction score
Been looking into replacing the echo 101 that came with my pontoon.  While researching I noticed that most all manufactures suggest you install your transducer on the starboard side or downward rotation of the prop.  Wonder why bennington put it on the port side?  I don't have the starboard bracket so I guess I'm stuck with the port side.  Things that make you go hummmmm... :)

I too have just begun to research for a replacement for my Garmin 101.   It is on a 2013 22 sfx that I purchased this year, also mounted on the port side. It is working fine but I want a combo gps and depth/fishfinder.  I will be calling Garmin to get some info on the transducer needed if I upgrade to a larger 54dv or 74dv.  Or if I can get one to fit the same cutout (like 44dv) as drop in replacement.  I also recently added a Minnkota Riptide with ipilot that is compatible with some units but not Garmins .    I will post as I figure it out.    

The location of the transducer matters on smaller boats where the location is close to the engine.  The distance on the pontoons mounting location negates the prop wash issue.  IMHO

I too have just begun to research for a replacement for my Garmin 101.   It is on a 2013 22 sfx that I purchased this year, also mounted on the port side. It is working fine but I want a combo gps and depth/fishfinder.  I will be calling Garmin to get some info on the transducer needed if I upgrade to a larger 54dv or 74dv.  Or if I can get one to fit the same cutout (like 44dv) as drop in replacement.  I also recently added a Minnkota Riptide with ipilot that is compatible with some units but not Garmins .    I will post as I figure it out.    

Look forward to hearing what you decide on.

I installed a Humminbird Helix 7.  I immediately bought the ChartSelect map of Bull Shoals Lake from them for $30, which has tons of features and bathymetry data down to 1' intervals on the contour lines.  I mounted the transducer on the port tube, which had a rectangular "box" welded to the rear bottom of the toon (it came that way).  The system works pretty flawlessly, once you get the sensitivity settings dialed in, but then my top speed is only 30.  The Yamaha has a RH screw, so it follows that you mount the puck on the left-side toon, and Bennington made that easy for me.

412731486.jpg

I installed a Humminbird Helix 7.  I immediately bought the ChartSelect map of Bull Shoals Lake from them for $30, which has tons of features and bathymetry data down to 1' intervals on the contour lines.  I mounted the transducer on the port tube, which had a rectangular "box" welded to the rear bottom of the toon (it came that way).  The system works pretty flawlessly, once you get the sensitivity settings dialed in, but then my top speed is only 30.  The Yamaha has a RH screw, so it follows that you mount the puck on the left-side toon, and Bennington made that easy for me.

Nice, wish my helm had the room for a 7" model...

Nice, wish my helm had the room for a 7" model...

Thanks!  I had a local machinist fabricate a piece of sheet steel to my specs and it turned out well.  PM me if you want pics of it.  I love the Helix, but then our lake is huge and good maps/charts are a must!

BTW, I really like your Benny.  Turns out it's the exact opposite of ours in terms of color!

412725652.jpg

Should be the same helm text. Thats the one I have on my 22 SSRX.  Looks like it would block some wind also.

Spoke with Garmin today... I asked about the 54dv, 74dv and 44.  If I replace my Echo 101 with a 53 or 54dv non-CHIRP unit, I can use the existing wiring and 4 pin plug, but for best imaging performance, change the transducer to the larger one supplied with the unit.   The CHIRP capable units offer better resolution and require an 8 pin plug or 8 pin adapter with the existing wire. The 53dv is loaded with US Inland Lake charting data whereas the 54dv is loaded with the US Coastal info.  You can purchase whichever charting info you wish to add to either unit.  44dv is a little larger than the Echo101 so I would have to modify a little to flush mount it.  53dv can be pedestal mounted (easily removed without unplugging anything since the wiring is plugged into the base) or flush mounted.  The helpful Garmin guy said that I could download and print a template for either to make sure that I have room to flush mount the unit.  At this point, I am leaning toward the non-CHIRP 53dv with transducer -- larger screen, depth, fishfinder, GPS,4 pin, no rewiring, only flush mounting issues. Although Waverunner has a nice setup with his custom plate, I don't think I like the idea of the pedestal mount unless I can get it out of the way....still thinking about it. As for for linking to the Ipilot GPS controller on the Minnkota trolling motor, that is only offered by Humminbird units it seems.  I am ok with the wireless handheld remote GPS control unit on the MKot.  theGPSstore.com offers the 54 dv with transducer for $470.   Now to study the specs a bit more and then take the plunge.

For those new to this subject like I am........    

Here is Garmin's definition of CHIRP ...

CHIRP Sonar

CHIRP is the most sophisticated sonar technology available for use by the fishing and boating public. The word itself is an acronym for Compressed High-Intensity Radiated Pulse.

Instead of sending just 1 single frequency, CHIRP sends a continuous sweep of frequencies ranging from low to high. CHIRP sonar technology then interprets frequencies individually upon their return. Since this continuous sweep of frequencies provides CHIRP with a much wider range of information, CHIRP sonar is able to create a much clearer, higher resolution image.

Thanks!  I had a local machinist fabricate a piece of sheet steel to my specs and it turned out well.  PM me if you want pics of it.  I love the Helix, but then our lake is huge and good maps/charts are a must!

BTW, I really like your Benny.  Turns out it's the exact opposite of ours in terms of color!

412725652.jpg

Thanks waverunner.  I sent you a PM...  I like your Benny too.  Love the name! :)

Spoke with Garmin today... I asked about the 54dv, 74dv and 44.  If I replace my Echo 101 with a 53 or 54dv non-CHIRP unit, I can use the existing wiring and 4 pin plug, but for best imaging performance, change the transducer to the larger one supplied with the unit.   The CHIRP capable units offer better resolution and require an 8 pin plug or 8 pin adapter with the existing wire. The 53dv is loaded with US Inland Lake charting data whereas the 54dv is loaded with the US Coastal info.  You can purchase whichever charting info you wish to add to either unit.  44dv is a little larger than the Echo101 so I would have to modify a little to flush mount it.  53dv can be pedestal mounted (easily removed without unplugging anything since the wiring is plugged into the base) or flush mounted.  The helpful Garmin guy said that I could download and print a template for either to make sure that I have room to flush mount the unit.  At this point, I am leaning toward the non-CHIRP 53dv with transducer -- larger screen, depth, fishfinder, GPS,4 pin, no rewiring, only flush mounting issues. Although Waverunner has a nice setup with his custom plate, I don't think I like the idea of the pedestal mount unless I can get it out of the way....still thinking about it. As for for linking to the Ipilot GPS controller on the Minnkota trolling motor, that is only offered by Humminbird units it seems.  I am ok with the wireless handheld remote GPS control unit on the MKot.  theGPSstore.com offers the 54 dv with transducer for $470.   Now to study the specs a bit more and then take the plunge.

For those new to this subject like I am........    

Here is Garmin's definition of CHIRP ...

CHIRP Sonar

CHIRP is the most sophisticated sonar technology available for use by the fishing and boating public. The word itself is an acronym for Compressed High-Intensity Radiated Pulse.

Instead of sending just 1 single frequency, CHIRP sends a continuous sweep of frequencies ranging from low to high. CHIRP sonar technology then interprets frequencies individually upon their return. Since this continuous sweep of frequencies provides CHIRP with a much wider range of information, CHIRP sonar is able to create a much clearer, higher resolution image.

Thank you for the info.  Chirp is not a necessity, I don't think... So it would be an easy upgrade.  I too have been going back and forth about the flush mount.  Would really like to be able to take mine off the boat during the winter months...  Been looking at mounts that may work on my helm, but the wife really don't want me drilling any holes! :)

Hey SirVive

Was just looking at the 53dv chirp model over at the gps store.  The descriptions says it comes with a 4 pin transducer???  Wonder if that is a typo?

Textman...     Worth a double check.. The Garmin guy seemed knowledgeable and it makes sense that the extra Chirping may need more connections.  Thanks for the info.    

44dv is a little larger than the Echo101 so I would have to modify a little to flush mount it.  53dv can be pedestal mounted (easily removed without unplugging anything since the wiring is plugged into the base) or flush mounted.  The helpful Garmin guy said that I could download and print a template for either to make sure that I have room to flush mount the unit.  At this point, I am leaning toward the non-CHIRP 53dv with transducer -- larger screen, depth, fishfinder, GPS,4 pin, no rewiring, only flush mounting issues. Although Waverunner has a nice setup with his custom plate, I don't think I like the idea of the pedestal mount unless I can get it out of the way....still thinking about it

I think the 101 is the same as the 95/100 I had. I was able to mount my 53DV in the same hole after removing the 100 adapter from my helm, and trimming maybe 1/8" on the edges. It fit in perfect, predrilled 4 holes and done. As for the wiring, I anchored near the shore and worked underneath standing in the water. Took maybe 1/2 hour to remove old wiring and run new. I did need to get the extension cable as it was a couple feet short. Of course, now we are trading boat and it has to go with it. 

My chirp model has the two cables, power and the 4 pin transducer cable, which would mean it shouldn't be a typo. He's just not mentioning the power cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Help this beginner understand the best depth to mount a transducer.  It appears the previous owner mounted the transducer so the bottom of the unit was below the toon.  However, it also appears he broke it off because the transducer would hit the bunk when loading on the trailer.  Can I move it a little higher without losing performance?  The bracket on the toon will accommodate it with me drilling a couple of holes.  Thanks!

It needs to be in clean smooth water. Higher might work, but it has to be below any air/water turbulence.

Mine fits between the bunk boards. 

Back