Trim for the most speed

Bama Kat

Reaction score
With all this talk on speed, at what trim location do you get the most speed? I have always had an I/O and with it you trim it all the way down and then come up just a little as you get planned out. In playing with the toon and the outboard I have found that it turns faster & sharper if you trim it all the way down so the prop raises the back of the boat.  But when you just cruising have the gauge about 12 o'clock to around 1 o'clock so the prop is either straight or tilted a little up.

I seem to get the top speed with the trim gauge around 1 o'clock, what is your experience? 

Every boat is going to be a little different, you just have to play with it a little to get the best results.

For me, i start out trimmed down, but find i get max rpm 3/4 to full trim, and get the most bow lift trimmed up as well.

And, Bama Kat, i deleted the duplicate post, it wasn't funny  :p

Thanks, I tried too

I am the same as Geoffrey & Brenda.  I start low and then start trimming up.  I watch my speed on the GPS which gives it to the tenth of a mile and the 3/4 up always seems to be the top speed for that RPM

About 3/4 works the best for me too. 

Bear in mind that my 3/4 trim may not be the same as for another owner's 3/4 on the trim gauge.  It depends on how the sender on the motor is adjusted to how it reads.

But I agree that 3/4 is my best place to run.  I just leave the trim alone when running lightly loaded.  Upon hard acceleration, I get a little ventilation but it quits quickly--just like I like it. 

When my boat gets to 30 mph, it's almost as if air gets under the deck.  It feels a little like a tunnel hull boat with the whole boat raising in the water.  I was out this afternoon running 3500 rpm's @ 20 mph, and I noticed that the splash was about 1' behind the back of the nose cones.  I think when you throw the throttle to it, much more of the hull gets out of the water.

If I had a bunch of people on the boat, I'd be running with the trim down somewhat.  On my old 24' twin pontoon boat with a Yamaha 115 2 stroke, my most efficient speed was with the anticavitation plate parallel to the bottom of the toons.

Back