Trim Gauge functionality

elarock

Reaction score
The trim gauge on my pontoon is working intermittently. Is it possible that the Honda 115 outboard I have does not mate up to the Bennington gauges? Anyone else having an issue?

Hi Elarock, compatability is not the problem, I would say it's a connection problem, given that it's intermittent. If it's under warranty, contact your nearest dealer, if not, well you'll have to look for yourself, or have your local marina check it out. Let us know how you turn out on it.

Hi Elarock, mine did the same thing, I checked all my connections and found they were all solid, try this, the next time it goes out, tap on the gauge, if it bounces right back into operation, bingo bad gauge. Bennington replaced mine and I popped in right into place and haven't had any problems since.

And before anyone asks, yes I tried unplugging and reconnecting the old gauge to see if it was a connection at the gauge and it still would go out intermittently. As I said once I got the new gauge in, its not went out since. My dad is an electronics repairman from way back in the day and he said he had seen many gauges like these bad right out of the box so its not too unusual.

Happy boating!

Elarock,

I have a 2008 2575 QXi, and my trim gauge is "special" as well. I wouldn't describe it as working intermittently, but more as being inaccurate, where the guage does not truely reflect the position of the motor. I too have checked everything, as well as having a dealer check, and nothing was found.

As a workaround/correction, as soon as we put the boat in the water, we trim the motor all the way up, or all the way down, and then the gauge "syncs up" with the true position of the motor, and we're good to go; for that outing...

I have a theory, as to the cause. Our boat is kept in our storage building, and taken to/from the lake each time we use it. When it's parked and secured, I trim the motor down, using the trim button located on/near the motor. It's my theory, that is when the trim guage and the actual motor position are getting out-of-sync. I haven't takien the time to prove this, but I will this weekend, now that someone else may benefit from the theory/test/research... stay tuned...

Let us know. I have the same issue, all the way down is not all the way down on the guauge. Actually, it's just past halfway. According to the guage, while cruising I have it trimmed all of the way up.

Ok; I confirmed it! in my case anyways... With boat turned off, trimming the motor with the switch at the motor, does not get reflected on the console trim gauge. So, when the boat is backed into the water, the trim gauge reflects the last "known" trim position. We have to trim the motor all the way up, or all the way down, until the console trim gauge "catches up", and then everything is back in sync... until the motor trim switch is used again... :)

Back