Trim Question

jfluhr18

Reaction score
So I recently am a new Bennington owner and have a quick question about the trim. When cruising at say anywhere between 15 and 35 mph the trim stops not even a 1/4 of the way up the gauge. It just wont let me trim it up any farther. when I am going slow or stopped it will go all the way up. Is this normal to have a trim limiter while at or above a certain mph? Just does not seem like it lets me trim properly.

Yes it has a trim limit switch, i thought it would only limit trim when engaged in forward or reverse, but it may allow trim up to the first detent on your throttle.

There is also a trim position sensor for your gauge. When it does allow trim, and you trim all the way up, does the gauge show full trim? If so, then the trim limit is out of adjustment, if not, then the position sensor is out of adjustment.

If you have a warranty ( you did not say if you where the original owner) talk to your dealer and let them sort it out for you. :)

The computer in my old Mercury 115 would drop the motor down if you were trimmed up too far and exceeded 2000 rpms. It's a "save the motor" kind of feature.

Test it while up, if you can (if it's not up too far to suck air in the water intakes) and see if it drops the motor automatically at 2000 rpms. If it does, I would think the converse, where it won't let you go up past a certain point if over 2000 rpm would also hold true. If so, that's your problem. Which, isn't a problem, as it's supposed to do that to prevent you from sucking in air thru the water intakes.

Then the question is why would you want to trim up that far above 2000 rpms... I wouldn't think that would be either desirable or possible, but giving you the benefit of the doubt that you truly would want to trim up this far, maybe the motor is positioned too low on the transom??? Do you have an XL shaft on the motor with the shorter 20" transom?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know my "Yami" will not trim "up" at higher than maybe 1500 rpms. It will trim down (if I remember correctly) at higher rpms, just not up.

Which motor manufacture do you have? Most outboards have a trim and tilt. The trim portion can be done at any speed or rpm. The tilt portion is usually disabled at around 2000 or 2500 rpms.

Guages vary. Mine trim stops and tilt kicks in just over 1/2 up the gauge. My last boat was at 3/4 way up the gauge when the tilt portion kicked in.

At rest, you can hear and see the different speed kick in between trim and tilt. Tilt is much faster. Note at where your Guage shows when the this takes place. Then go run it in the lake and see if it's stopping at that point on the gauge

Todd

Never noticed any change in trim sound or speed when moving thru the full trim/tilt motion at one time. I will have to watch closer...

I talked to the dealer and they said exactly what you guys are saying. I came from a v hull and am still getting used to the toon. Operate very differently and its weird that performance is better when trimmed all the way down vs my v hull were it would be trimmed half way up for best performance.

Sorry guys

Bad link.

Try this

Think this is the right one. Hate technology :

As I recall the gauge reading must be adjusted at the sensor to ensure that the full up and full down trim positions are displayed within acceptable parameters at the gauge. Also there is only so much adjustment possible at the sensor. As a result, no two setups are the same, and for every boat one operates, one must become accustom to the gauge readings compared to actual trim levels.

+1 on what Jim said. I use the guage for a reference and "feel" for adjustment. It's a matter of getting used to what you're driiving (captaining).

+2 I also use the gauge just as a reference. I find the 150 is a lot different than my old boat with an 85 so the seat of pants reference is a good analogy

I am relatively new to the electric tilt that my Bennington has. How do i determin what the ideal position to run the motor is? my driving style is usually full throttle, any tips? I have the Yamaha F115 and 4 blade prop, not sure of the pitch...hope that helps with an asnwer.

You'll learn to find the "sweet spot" while you're driving. You will be able to tell by your speed and the sound of the motor. If you trim too high it'll start to cavitate and you'll know it. Just practice.

Back