Trim up or down while in slip Merc motors

Lil Spooky OH6A

Reaction score
hello all, getting my toon in a couple of weeks. I've noticed in the marina I'm renting a slip that there are several merc motors (lower unit) in the water and several trimmed out of the water to prevent algae accumulating on the lower unit and prop. Does trimming it out of the water create stress on the transom, etc? What is the diff? 21slx, 90 hp. Thanks.

I don’t leave my boat in the water except vacations etc. I would think leaving up and eliminating the growth would be the preference?? A 90 hp isn’t going to stress the transom in a stationary position during docking. I’m sure others will chime in and offer some reasonable advice!
Pics when it shows up!

My boat resides in a wet slip all year. In the warmer months I'll trim it out if I'm going to not run it for over a week. I would likely keep it out all summer if i didn't fear someone stealing my 650$ Yamaha prop and not sure I like the thought of 505lbs hanging all the time. Yamaha does have a flip down support I use when doing so. Not sure if Merc does or not. In the colder months you'll want it vertical so as to make sure the motor drains. Any chance of the temp getting below freezing make sure it's completely vertical.

We keep our boat in the water all summer and we debated whether or not to trim our outdrive revealing our stainless prop. Bottom line is..........If they want it, they'll take it! We've been leaving it down. If they want to steal it they'll have to go underwater for it. I was going to get a prop lock when we first got the boat but never did.

Who on this forum has a prop lock???

Mine is on a lift but if the lake is high I trim the motor up to get the prop out of the water.

I was going to order one of those locks for my last Benny with the 90HP Yamaha, but they didn't work on motors less than a 115, but I just ordered one for my new boat with the Yammy 150HP. Ordered from Overton's. I got $9.00 off the $60 by using the 15% code.

We keep her in a slip during the boating season with the engine out of the water (trimmed up). From a structural standpoint, I don't think there is any question that it's not engineered for that. Additionally, we don't use a prop lock (knock wood).

Back