Trolling motor on tritoon part-time

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering picking up a trolling motor for my boat. I racked up quite a few hours on my motor so far this year just moving slowly along shorelines fishing for bass where a trolling motor would have been ideal. Seems like a no brainer to spend ~$600 on that to keep the hours down and maintenance away from the big engine. But I have some questions I haven't found the answer to in other threads. First, for tritoons that don't have the deck go over the tips of the toons, I assume that makes center mounting impossible, right? Or does the motor stick out far enough that it can still be mounted inline with the center toon? I assume I would have to mount it between two of the toons but I can't find anything on it. And does it still work right if it isn't mounted in the center?

Next, I know some people get the special trolling motor door, but I don't want to do that. I'd like to just use the quick release plate and remove it more often. I assume I can pull it up out of the water but still leave it upright while I motor around, can anyone confirm that? Then when we're done fishing, I just want to pull it off and stick it in my center tube storage. It will never go into the 'lay flat' position unless I could somehow lay it flat sideways across my bow. That would be sweet. 

This is the motor I'm thinking of getting: Minn Kota Powerdrive V2 54 Pontoon Boat Trolling Motor with Quick Release Bracket (54-lb Thrust, 48" Shaft)

I know a 24v would do a better job, but it sounds like most people with a the 12v 54 lb have been pretty happy with it. I just don't want two more batteries in the mix. I've got too much stuff on my boat most of the time anyway. On batteries, if I add a third battery to my two battery setup, can I add another Yandina combiner and have my motor charge all three at the same time? 

And last, am I going to regret it if I don't spring for the iPilot?

Thanks in advance for the input and opinions! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and here's a pic of what I mean on my bow. How the tip of the toons go past the deck. 

IMG_1708.JPG

Looks like someone has another idea...doggy paddle

Ha! I think she is more obsessed with fish than any of us. I guess that's what happens when you're like 104 dog years old. 

That's not enough motor. The max Minn Kota recommends for a 12v 54 is 21 ft. or 2500 lbs. Your hull weighs that much without the engine. The Yamaha is over 600 dry, two people and the usual gear is another 400 lbs. which puts you well into the weight of a 24v motor.

I had the opportunity to pick up a nearly new V2 for $300 but started researching them and found a lot of guys didn't like the layout of the foot pedal. One guy said it was the worst design he'd ever used.  I found many posts where guys were dumping the V2 for the Terrova or Ulterra.

Did you end up getting something else or did you try out the v2 on your boat?

My logic with getting away with the 12v is purely based on people in other threads here saying it works fine for them. I know I'm way over the recommended weight, but I also would only use it in calm conditions. And I'm not sure how to even start with a 4 battery setup and being on the lake for 5 days at a time. Mobile solar farm?

I decided to wait until next year before doing anything. The V2 that was available came off a 2015 pontoon that had only been out a few times but the owner wasn't happy with it and pulled the trigger on an Ulterra. I looked at those but they're $1500 by the time you get all the extra stuff to hook 'em up. Even more if you can't do it yourself.

I'm having a hard time deciding if the cost & hassle is worth it. I want a trolling motor now and then but would have to buy a new gate or modify the existing one. There's the expense of another battery and all the wiring etc that goes with it.  And I also have to consider having the quick release mounting plate to trip over since my fence goes all the way to the rub rail.  I go barefoot onboard and just know sooner or later I would stub my toe on that plate. For now I'm content to static fish or drift with the wind.

Definite yes on the iPilot. It allows you to operate the motor from anywhere in the boat. The iPilot also makes a much more portable unit than a foot control w/cables. Yes you can run gas motor with the Minn Kota in the raised position, just be careful of speed on rough water as they are not as secure in a raised position as they are laying flat and locked into plate. I have 24v 70 lb thrust and its more than enough to move my 22sffx. Setting up your motor between tubes even though offset from center of boat won't matter at the slower speeds you'll have. Love mine. Best add on to boat to date.

Ipilot hand held control is perfect. You can control the boat from anywhere. Here is the motor I have mounted on our 20SLX.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Products/POWERDRIVE-V2-55-LB-54-INCH-SHAFT-US2--i-PILOT/

I have it mounted on a quick release plate, off center so it lays under my trolling motor gate along the bench seat, not in the middle of my deck. Plenty of thrust for my boat even in high winds, 12 Volt 55 lbs.

Here is a picture of it. http://club.benningtonmarine.com/index.php?/gallery/image/2017-image/

I just finished installing mine this weekend.  I had it on my old toon and it worked great.  I wasn't sure if it would be big enough for the new boat, but it does fine.

Minn Kota PD 70 V2 60" 24volt

I never had a trolling motor door on the old boat and don't have one with the new boat.  I just pull it straight up when not in use or just remove it.  Since I have the new boat on a lift, I just open the door and stow the trolling motor (door stays open)  I have the quick release mount which is just a pin.  When removed, there is just a little plastic puck remaining on the deck.  I don't even notice it any more. 

I was able to center the mount since my deck covers the center toon.  I had considered offset, but didn't need to, so I didn't do that.  I see no reason why you can't offset.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Products/MKA-21-QUICK-RELEASE-BRACKET/

I put my batteries under the helm with onboard charger.  Lots of room on an R.  Also fit fine on the G.  If you have a subwoofer, they may not fit, so may have to look at under seat.

I never used my foot pedal.  I installed the iPilot right away and LOVE it. 

I can get around 2.5-3mph depending on wind.

I'm guessing that I may be the only 300hp pontoon with a trolling motor :D  

I have the model you are looking at and it is powerful enough for our 22' boat.  We just left the door open and laid it down when moving.  I would not just pull it up and leave it.  At speed if it drop you could have a mess quickly.  The foot pedal works well. I bought the co-pilot remote.  It is a key fob that controls the motor.  Much cheaper than the i-pilot.  Not near as cool but it works for us.  I can get 2 days of fishing on a battery charge.  As you are out for days, I would get a controller and charge the battery from your engine. 

Great info, thanks guys. Leaving the gate open might work, I'd just need to block it with a cooler or something to keep my dogs from wandering out there. The other thought I've had now is pulling it up then tilting it back and fastening it to the outside of the playpen on one side or the other of the bow gate. 

What do you think on shaft length? Is 48" too little for a tritoon that sits pretty high up front?

Great info, thanks guys. Leaving the gate open might work, I'd just need to block it with a cooler or something to keep my dogs from wandering out there. The other thought I've had now is pulling it up then tilting it back and fastening it to the outside of the playpen on one side or the other of the bow gate. 

What do you think on shaft length? Is 48" too little for a tritoon that sits pretty high up front?
I think that a 48" would be very marginal.  Any waves and you could end up with the prop breaking the surface.  I like my 60" because the head sticks up high enough to see and yet get good bite.  With the remote (ipilot), sometimes it is nice to see what direction the motor is facing.  Anything lower and the head will have to be flush on the deck and will be difficult to see.

Pics of my install

I'm having a hard time with the idea of mounting it down the middle of the bow. The gate being open is one thing, but that is the way we get on and off the boat 99% of the time because we're usually beached. I really don't want a mounting plate right there. So in looking at most fishing boats, they don't mount their motors straight down the middle. They mount them at an an angle so that they lay down flat along the edge of the boat. Like this. So what if I did the same thing on my extended deck? Mounted it between two toons and when it goes flat, it goes off at an angle and overhangs the edge of the boat a bit. It would overhang the edge of the boat a bit, but not by much. I rarely every dock and when I do, I would still have options. I could either remove the motor, dock on the other side, or just raise the motor straight up. 

Below is a mockup of what I'm thinking. Thoughts?

motor.jpg

You don't happen to have a photo of your install with just the puck, do you? Is that the standard Minn Kota quick release plate?
I don't have a picture handy. 

It is the mount plate in the link above.  Here it is again.  http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Products/MKA-21-QUICK-RELEASE-BRACKET/

When removed, all that is remaining is the small inner puck.  It is approx 3.5"x5" and 3/4" tall.  It is plastic.  We don't even notice it with motor removed.  We board from the front 90% of the time as well.  It is not a problem.  I always just pull it vertical.  The motor latch is very robust and we've never had a problem or concern of motor dropping.  The only reason I lay it down is for the boat lift and canopy clearance.

The mount just uses four 1/4" bolts.  Very small holes in flooring.  As a mater of fact, on old boat with carpet, I removed the mount and raked the carpet.  I couldn't see the holes.  Small hole in seagrass as well.

I found a picture of my old boat that shows what is remaining on the deck when the TM is removed.

It is the best picture I could find.

Back