Trolling motor size

Debra

Reaction score
My husband is wanting to change out his 55 pound thrust trolling motor for a 70 pound on his 22 foot fishing model. Is it necessary? Would it handle better on windy days.

On a calm lake 55 lbs. is plenty, soon as the waves or wind pick up you would need more. I had a motor guide 55lbs. on a 2275 psi and it was fine until I moved to a rougher lake. 

This post scares me..... are our wives now fact checking our "reasons/justifications" on here now regarding upgrades etc???  If so we need to come up with a canned response like, "Yeah, he's right!. Sounds like a very smart loving guy you have there"

Yes it will help.  I had a 55 and switched to an 80. With the 55 it was ok in a light breeze but if the wind picked up at all then it was much harder to control and I had to turn up the speed to almost max a lot of the time. Well then your battery drains down faster. After I installed the 80 it was much easier and I actually had longer battery life. But the other side of that is the trolling motor is more expensive and I had to go to 2 batteries because it went from a 12 volt system to a 24 volt system. 

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
This post scares me..... are our wives now fact checking our "reasons/justifications" on here now regarding upgrades etc???  If so we need to come up with a canned response like, "Yeah, he's right!. Sounds like a very smart loving guy you have there"

No actually my husband doesn't do forums. After we bought our first bennington I was excited to read about others experiences. We love our boat. Just slowly finding things out we should of thought of first. 

Yes it will help.  I had a 55 and switched to an 80. With the 55 it was ok in a light breeze but if the wind picked up at all then it was much harder to control and I had to turn up the speed to almost max a lot of the time. Well then your battery drains down faster. After I installed the 80 it was much easier and I actually had longer battery life. But the other side of that is the trolling motor is more expensive and I had to go to 2 batteries because it went from a 12 volt system to a 24 volt system. 

Hope this helps

What size boat do you have and where did you put second battery our battery box in the front is only big enough for one.

What size boat do you have and where did you put second battery our battery box in the front is only big enough for one.

I have a 21sfxapg tri toon with sps and a 150 Yamaha. So this boat is fairly heavy. You can see pics in my gallery titled 2014 Benny. 

I up graded from a min Kota power drive v2 12 volt 55lbs to a min Kota ulterra 24volt 80lbs. 

I have both batteries in the front starboard (right) storage area or trolling motor battery compartment, if it is set up that way from the factory. And yes 2 size 27 batteries will fit in there. I did not think they would fit either but someone one told me they would so I tried and they do. Makes for a much easier upgrade to a bigger trolling motor  

I can look and see if I have a pic with both batteries in there, not sure if I have one  

Debra: "is it necessary" is a question a guy would never ask. :D  Bigger is always better.

Back