Trolling motors and set up?

Buckaroo

Reaction score
What’s the best route to go for a good trolling set up for fishing from a pontoon boat?

I went with a Minn Kota Power Drive, 55# thrust, 54" shaft (I think). I also installed the co-pilot for wireless control. Works fine to move along the shoreline. I selected the 55# thrust as it is the highest thrust with only 1 battery and I didn't want to lug two batteries to the boat regularly as boat is slipped with no electric. If I had electric or regularly trailered the boat I would say 24V is a better choice depending on how you want to use it.

For casual use the 12V set up can't be beat.

I have the same setup as Shawn. I can get 2 days of trolling before recharging. The 55# is enough unless you are fighting the wind. I have learned that up wind is hard for the 55# to handle. I just change the drift pattern.

I have the Minn Kota Power Drive 70# iPilot 24V. I would recommend the 70 over the 55 with 12V. I have had both and as previously mentioned with a moderate wind you will not be able to hold very well with the 55. I like the 70#/24V much better. See my pics for how I mounted mine, slightly off set to keep it out of the way of the walk thru. The head ends up under the fishing seat which also keeps it out of the way when stowed. I put my batteries in the front right storage compartment to reduce long wiring. Also have the on-board charger there.

I also have the 60" shaft but the 54" would work fine I think. The 60" does allow you to put the motor well below the water line to eliminate any prop cavitation and still have a good visual on the head to keep track of the direction it is pointing.

Back