Trolling motors

jsur

Reaction score
I am curious how many people have a trolling motor mounted on a non fishing style Bennington? Are there any removeable options? Any recommendations? I am undecided on this and not sure if it is worth doing, but my father and brother in law are big time fishermen and it would be a nice addition. I have the rbr 2350 on order. Thanks in advance.

Mine is a fishing style Bennington, but my trolling motor is also easily removed by simply pulling a pin.  This was done for two reasons.  First, if we were going to have a larger number of people on the boat and we were only going for a boat ride, it can be removed to give us more room.  Also, if the ramp that we are launching is quite steep, we can pull the pin and slide it back so that it clears.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a non-fishing style with a trolling motor on the bow. I bought a MinnKota Terrova I-Pilot 80 and have it mounted on a removeable mount. The only thing there when the motor is removed is a 6 x 9 x .5 inch composite plate. The MK stock number is MKA-21. As for the motor, I have been very impressed with it. I think Motorguide now has a similar product, but since I have a Humminbird GPS/depth finder I went with the MK (same company).

I took a look at your gallery. Very nice! Does the mounting plate interfere with the cover at all? How do you connect the battery? Do you have a second battery? Thanks

The plate doesn't interfere with anything, and is bolted to the deck at the back edge of the aluminum trim. The motor is 24V, and I have a MK receptacle mounted next to the fence, starboard side, near the door hinge. It is waterproof, with a cover, and the two batteries are in the helm along with the MK 220 on-board charger. I have a receptacle for the charger mounted in the fence at the helm, and I just pull the cover off that receptacle and plug the extension cord into it to charge. This motor comes with a light -wire foot control (18 ft cable) as well as a remote that I wear around my neck. It has a lot of neat features, and one that I really like is the anchor feature (I think the correct name is Spot Lock). I can hook a fish, push the anchor button, and forget about controlling the boat. It will stay within 6 ft of that spot--speed up, slow down, turn---whatever is needed. I don't have to concentrate on controlling the boat AND landing the fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a non-fishing style with a trolling motor on the bow. I bought a MinnKota Terrova I-Pilot 80 and have it mounted on a removeable mount. The only thing there when the motor is removed is a 6 x 9 x .5 inch composite plate. The MK stock number is MKA-21. As for the motor, I have been very impressed with it. I think Motorguide now has a similar product, but since I have a Humminbird GPS/depth finder I went with the MK (same company).

I am looking for information from someone who has added a trolling motor to their pontoon in the past 2-3 years. I have a 21 SSX APG Fish and Cruise Pontoon.I saw your response in a thread and someone said they saw your gallery. I would like to see what you did. I was considering a Minn Kota and someone recommended the Humminbird Fishfinder. I have no idea which motor, shaft length and which model of Humminbird. Our friends all have Lowrance systems on Lund fishing boats but man those are costly. We have the only pontoon. Where is the best spot to put it? We installed two Minn Kota Anchor Mates last summer to the bow and stern (driver's side). We love those. Is the detachable mount best? Our boat is kept in dry storage so we take it in and out of the water each trip. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking for information from someone who has added a trolling motor to their pontoon in the past 2-3 years. I have a 21 SSX APG Fish and Cruise Pontoon.I saw your response in a thread and someone said they saw your gallery. I would like to see what you did. I was considering a Minn Kota and someone recommended the Humminbird Fishfinder. I have no idea which motor, shaft length and which model of Humminbird. Our friends all have Lowrance systems on Lund fishing boats but man those are costly. We have the only pontoon. Where is the best spot to put it? We installed two Minn Kota Anchor Mates last summer to the bow and stern (driver's side). We love those. Is the detachable mount best? Our boat is kept in dry storage so we take it in and out of the water each trip. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
We have a 2011 24SLi and I have a Minn Kota 55#, 54" motor. That is the largest 12V motor that we could add - works fine for us - plenty of power. I also have the Co-Pilot wireless control which I added after the initial installation.

54" shaft allows you to see motor head from back end of boat when using the wireless controller - anything shorter (i.e. 48" will not).

Hi I am a new member. Did you get the trolling motor set up? I am looking to set up a large triton with the ipilot (use the spot lock) any feedback or pix would be great. Thanks

We have a 2011 24SLi and I have a Minn Kota 55#, 54" motor. That is the largest 12V motor that we could add - works fine for us - plenty of power. I also have the Co-Pilot wireless control which I added after the initial installation.

54" shaft allows you to see motor head from back end of boat when using the wireless controller - anything shorter (i.e. 48" will not).
hi could I see photos of your Minn Kota installation, we are wanting to do something similar for our triton. Thanks!

Back