Trouble leaving slip in wind

RangerMTB5

Reaction score
I had my confidence around the docks knocked down this weekend. When leaving the dock, I typically back out 3/4 of the way, then turn the wheel to starboard while in reverse, and end up somewhere in the middle of the fairway, then, neutral, turn wheel to port, forward, and we're out no problem.

Yesterday, there was a significant wind blowing us into the slip, which i realized, but I guess didn't adjust properly. So I proceeded as normal, and in seconds, ended up nearly against the outboards of the boats next to our slip, closer to land. (See picture) Luckily my wife on the boat hook kept us out of trouble, but I do not want to experience that again...

I've come up with a few options on how to prevent this, but looking to figure out the best solution.
- Back up further (closer to the boats across the fairway)
- Use more power to complete the turn faster (I usually use very little power)
- Back all the way out into the lake avoiding the turn around

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• dock.jpg
    dock.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 89
If it's windy be sure to lower your sails (Bimini). That will help some. Also the first two of your three fixes up above might help but slow is your friend so careful with adding power. Are you turning the wheel all the way? Turn it faster on your starboard to port turn. Always "lead" your maneuvers too (in other words change your steering inputs EARLIER than you think you need to).

If it's windy be sure to lower your sails (Bimini). That will help some. Also the first two of your three fixes up above might help but slow is your friend so careful with adding power. Are you turning the wheel all the way? Turn it faster on your starboard to port turn. Always "lead" your maneuvers too (in other words change your steering inputs EARLIER than you think you need to).

Yes, I always store the bimini when coming in or leaving.

When I'm backing out, I generally don't turn it all the way, because I'm attempting to get close to the opposite side (perpendicular to the boats), so I'm turning slowly while in reverse. Is that wrong? I'll be sure to turn it hard port on the turn out and try giving it a little more gas to make the turn and overcome the wind.

Thank you.

I'd back up as close to the other boats as possible, then crank the wheel and get that nose in the wind as soon as possible.

Last edited:
I learned a valuable lesson I use often. I was struggling to move the boat off a gas dock and the dock master just walked pasted me and said, you need to be going faster than the wind. I needed to give it more gas and he was right. It was a very suttle and much needed advice.

Back out, turn your wheel to port and back out all the way to open water.....

The challenge with all reverse to get to the channel is pontoon props don't pull well. The props are built to push big heavy boats. The leverage on the boat is all wrong in reverse. I corral docks for dock put in and take out 8 hours twice a year. There are times I cannot get the pontoon while in reverse to go the direction I need.
I would back straight out and turn wheel 100% and goose the throttle forward to kick the back end around. Slow will turn the boat slowly, you need to skid the back end around to the new heading. Enjoy your summer.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the tips, I appreciate it. I may have been over-confident as I went 3 weekends without any issues and didn't properly assess the conditions.

Back up/out like Kahuna said.

The ONLY way to keep a boat in precisely one spot on the water when it's windy is to BACK directly into the wind, and use the throttle to hold it there. If you're pointing INTO the wind, the wind will eventually blow the bow one way or the other, and then you've lost control, especially in tight quarters.

Similarly, the only way to precisely maneuver slowly in tight spaces is to back into the wind, then make slight adjustments to move slowly where you need to go.

This is one of the best tips I've heard for close quarters maneuvering, or emergencies in tight quarters. Tuck this away in the back of your mind. When you find yourself in a tight spot, back to the wind to hold your position. It will at least buy you time to think about what you want to do next.

Last edited:
Going along with this, take advantage of higher winds sometime when you get caught in them on the lake. You can play around with maneuverability without any docks or other water craft around. It’s not the same, but it helps you get some better muscle memory, reaction memory developed. I’m a work in progress in these regards after 3 full seasons, but I am slowly getting there myself. ;-)

We went out on Friday night and Saturday morning. Friday, there was no wind so I practiced the technique of giving it more throttle to kick the boat into the turns and it worked well, I then practiced out in the open water a bit too. Saturday, the wind was kicking, just about the same as the day of the incident. I powered through the turns, and ended up just fine....confidence is back. Thanks again for all the tips!

Attachments

• 9587095F-4E10-4560-9F55-572D7D11F34E.jpeg
    9587095F-4E10-4560-9F55-572D7D11F34E.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 13
We went out on Friday night and Saturday morning. Friday, there was no wind so I practiced the technique of giving it more throttle to kick the boat into the turns and it worked well, I then practiced out in the open water a bit too. Saturday, the wind was kicking, just about the same as the day of the incident. I powered through the turns, and ended up just fine....confidence is back. Thanks again for all the tips!

Way to rock the helm Captain! :cool:

Back