Troubles with 2001 Optimax 150?

Milwaukeeasy

Reaction score
All:

I'm a bit new to the boating scene and looking to make a splash.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2001 2275RL at what I consider to be a reasonable price (around 12k). I don't have any significant concerns about the cabin, but the Mercury Optimax 150 gives me pause. Unknown number of hours on it. Is it enough juice? Any common problems?

I'd be keeping it on big water. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Does it have 2 or 3 tubes and does it have lifting strakes? Our boat with 3 tubes goes 39 mph with me. You have to remember you're buying something that's 13 years old.

911-  I just bought a 2006 2250RL with a 150 Honda this passed week. I see you have almost the same unit. I put about 70 miles on it this past holiday weekend. It has only 200 hours. I LOVE it and look forward to the yack on this site. Stan from Pickwick Lake TN.

I would have no worries about a 150hp opti being enough power for that boat. You'll see high 30's maybe even 40 if the tubes are clean.  If you have concerns, have a inspection done.  The ECU will tell you how many hours are on the motor.  Any merc dealer can do this service for you.

Have the dealer do a compresssion check, water pump psi check etc.  In fact, I would replace the water pump no matter what and its very inexpensive.  You might have $150 with parts and labor into a  water pump change.  You didn't menion whether its a saltwater opti or not.

Good luck

Todd

You should really have any used boat motor checked out closely by a quality marine mechanic, including checking the diagnostic system.  If everything checks out okay, he should go ahead and change the water pump impeller.  To check out the lower unit, they'll have to drain and replace the lower unit grease anyway.

Don Weed owns a large Mercury outboard motor dealership in Greenville, SC, and he's well read on the large bass boat forum, BBCBoards.net. 

If you'll sign into the below website and scroll to the bottom, you'll find his suggestions on purchasing a used Optimax engine.

http://www.bbcboards.net/mercury-3-liter-3-liter-high-performance/22038-commonly-asked-commonly-used-posts-look-here-first-updated-06-2014-a.html

Back