Trump Parade Tears!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Temp repair, pull The seat (not that bad, should be screws on bottom, couple through fence), get a “j”roller for Formica and roll it back and forth over the dent gently. It wont be perfect but better than the dent. I don’t think the metals too thin to pull, but the corrugating makes it impossible to “flatten” like a normal dent. If it pulled out of the crimp, you can try to “pry” the crimp open, then flatten back over the panel edge (couple people have done that over the years in forum). Worth a shot to see how it looks vs. spending the big bucks and stuffing another wave. “If” you pull it to fix, maybe put a backer of thin aluminum to see if it helps. Just remember that aluminum will now be against your seat backs and will discolor them.

I pulled the seat. Easy job. Used a heat gun and rubber mallet to pound the aluminum back into position. The force of the wave really crushed it at the bottom. It now looks better than it did. I could save myself some dollars by installing the replacement parts myself. $1700 is a lot for something I can do myself in a couple of hours. The logo scares me the most. When you spend this kind of money on a boat, you want it done the right way.

Any advice on just purchasing the parts from my dealer and handling the labor myself?

I pulled the seat. Easy job. Used a heat gun and rubber mallet to pound the aluminum back into position. The force of the wave really crushed it at the bottom. It now looks better than it did. I could save myself some dollars by installing the replacement parts myself. $1700 is a lot for something I can do myself in a couple of hours. The logo scares me the most. When you spend this kind of money on a boat, you want it done the right way.

Any advice on just purchasing the parts from my dealer and handling the labor myself?
Are fasteners not through bolted to bottom side that holds furniture in? Good to know for access

I'll agree to disagree on this one. Yes, driver error led to the damage, but it's a boat, that drives on water. Accidents happen and a boat of this size and cost should be able to take a wave over the bow without causing $1700 worth of damage. If it means $500-1000 more to put heavier gauge panels at the bow, that should be standard to make sure the boat can withstand taking the inadvertent wave over the bow.
"Drives on water" Not under waves. So We should all pay extra for our Bennington's because now a few bad driver have to pay for their mistakes?

Are fasteners not through bolted to bottom side that holds furniture in? Good to know for access

No. Looks like the rail is bolted but furniture is just screwed in. A couple of small bolts in the rail as well. Extremely easy to remove the seats. I love my Bennington but sometimes I think I could build a nice tritoon from scratch for half the money. Maybe a project one day.

I'll agree to disagree on this one. Yes, driver error led to the damage, but it's a boat, that drives on water. Accidents happen and a boat of this size and cost should be able to take a wave over the bow without causing $1700 worth of damage. If it means $500-1000 more to put heavier gauge panels at the bow, that should be standard to make sure the boat can withstand taking the inadvertent wave over the bow.

Not if less than 1/10th of 1% have this issue. Now factor in probably 50% plus of those are captains error in navigating dangerous waters that are beyond their expertise, of those left, maybe 25% due to complete negligence (rentals), etc....
Im not saying maybe offer an option, but why would I want to pay an extra “Standard” thousand dollars on my lake? That’s ludicrous.

No. Looks like the rail is bolted but furniture is just screwed in. A couple of small bolts in the rail as well. Extremely easy to remove the seats. I love my Bennington but sometimes I think I could build a nice tritoon from scratch for half the money. Maybe a project one day.

But not near the level of craftsmanship OR WARRANTY

FWIW, I take responsibility but this wasn’t my first rodeo. I’m not some newbie that floored the boat into a wave. In retrospect, I put myself in a bad spot without the ability to adjust. It’s on me. I don’t fault the boat at all. Even reinforced aluminum probably wouldn’t have prevented the damage. Thanks all!

FWIW, I take responsibility but this wasn’t my first rodeo. I’m not some newbie that floored the boat into a wave. In retrospect, I put myself in a bad spot without the ability to adjust. It’s on me. I don’t fault the boat at all. Even reinforced aluminum probably wouldn’t have prevented the damage. Thanks all!

Mark has taken the high road here and I think this is a great place to wrap up this discussion. Sometimes it better to pre-empt a thread from "going off the rails."

Lots to learn from this thread. Be safe out there, folks! Happy boating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back