Tubing and my rooster tail is a big problem :(

Dmonnny123

Reaction score
Hey there, quick question..

So I have a 2019 ssxbp tri toon with a 150 hp Yamaha.

My boat seems to throw a ridiculous rooster tail or large spray into the wake behind me.. And it’s really becoming a problem when taking the kids tubing..

They’re constantly getting sprayed in the eyes with water when inside the wake. (See attached pictures, and you’ll notice how far out the rooster tail spray goes)

I tried lengthening the rope to put them past that spray area but I’m now at a 65’ rope or so and water spray is still a problem!!

Any ideas of what I can do? Or what is causing this?

I’ve messed with the trim and it seems to make zero difference.

Thanks!FEE29567-438D-414D-BC44-D6A151E0015F.jpeg A390B842-434E-4F4A-B345-48A1BE7F5DAA.jpeg

I had that problem with our 115. Had to constantly turn left and right to keep them from being sprayed. It went away when I got the 150 because it ran at half the rpms when tubing (for the same mph). I'm stumped.

I'll see if I can find my tubing rope length.

My airhead bungee rope is 50 feet...

What hull do you have? ESP or SPS? Maybe someone else can verify their hull does the same thing.

How about masks and snorkels?

We have a 150 with SPS and don’t have that issue. If adjusting the trim doesn’t help then perhaps the motor is mounted to high. I would consult you dealer.

That means you’re not throwing them side to side. :D

You may also be doing what I did before these guys corrected me. If you’re running over 23-25mph, then you need to slow down so you can turn sharper, throwing them out to the side.

You can also see my nephew has his goggles on.

Last edited:
That means you’re not throwing them side to side. :D

You may also be doing what I did before these guys corrected me. If you’re running over 23-25mph, then you need to slow down so you can turn sharper, throwing them out to the side.

You can also see my nephew has his goggles on.

Oh I’m usually whipping them all around left to right... but if I go straight even for a bit this happens.
I have the express tube package.

We have a 150 with SPS and don’t have that issue. If adjusting the trim doesn’t help then perhaps the motor is mounted to high. I would consult you dealer.

The motor is mounted at the standard 2nd hold down from the top

i Have the express tube package

My airhead bungee rope is 50 feet...

What hull do you have? ESP or SPS? Maybe someone else can verify their hull does the same thing.

How about masks and snorkels?
I had that problem with our 115. Had to constantly turn left and right to keep them from being sprayed. It went away when I got the 150 because it ran at half the rpms when tubing (for the same mph). I'm stumped.

I'll see if I can find my tubing rope length.

I’m going full speed with these guys... 5800rpm.. not sure the speed. But they still ask to go faster lol.

i have the EXPRESS TUBE PACKAGE.

Mine is the ESP package, too. I did raise my motor by one hole.

7D98CB6E-7599-4853-B72E-BC96AFE37B2C.jpeg

I have 150 sps and yes, there is a monster rooster tail. I extended the standard rope by I think 15' and it helps a bit but not much. I think it's the nature of the beast. On other boats I used to trim for minimal rooster tail / best performance but you can't (at least I can't) with the tritoon. Trimming up/down doesn't change it as much. I'm always waiting for new people on the boat to tell me about adjusting trim for better performance by eliminating spray and telling them to go ahead and try. Maybe I could raise the motor but I don't pull people that much so it'll stay where it is.

I have 150 sps and yes, there is a monster rooster tail. I extended the standard rope by I think 15' and it helps a bit but not much. I think it's the nature of the beast. On other boats I used to trim for minimal rooster tail / best performance but you can't (at least I can't) with the tritoon. Trimming up/down doesn't change it as much. I'm always waiting for new people on the boat to tell me about adjusting trim for better performance by eliminating spray and telling them to go ahead and try. Maybe I could raise the motor but I don't pull people that much so it'll stay where it is.

Hmmmmm. Does raising the motor supposedly help???

I have EPP (express) too. My motor is mounted all the way down.

But, I would say you are going too fast. Mine does the same thing, guessing around 30 mph or more.

Dropping down a hole might help, but those LED lights look like they would need to move.

Those videos are faster than i would care to go, and in my opinion are not safe. If the tube goes airborne due to windspeed, that's too fast for my kids.

But, it depends on the kid. Skinny 10 year old girls are one thing. 18 year old football players are another...

I have EPP (express) too. My motor is mounted all the way down.

But, I would say you are going too fast. Mine does the same thing, guessing around 30 mph or more.

Dropping down a hole might help, but those LED lights look like they would need to move.

That’s not my motor mount with the led. Nor is it my videos...

That said, I’m at the standard two hole down for my mount. Wondering if I raise the motor a hole if it would help or hurt my situation.

That’s not my motor mount with the led. Nor is it my videos...

I just wonder if its more pronounced with the Express tubes vs a tritoon such as an SPS or ESP? We have a manageable roaster tail, and are fine for tubing. It doesn’t impact things that far back, and we are pushing the boat with a 200HP.

Just spit balling here, NO real experience and engineering knowledge on these matters. I simply wonder how much the angle the boat is at with the Express in the back, and then motor and water displacement back there as a result, are contributing to this issue...?

Ditto with Viking, SPS with 200 and i do straight pulls for a long time with my kids, and not much of a complaint with a 50' rope. (remember to sunblock the back of the legs when you do that with them). that said if they do want to get less i turn and they go outside the wake, then when i straighten they know how to move to one side more and stay outside the wake, on the wave but outside the spray zone, i have done 30 minutes and more trips with them outside while i am going straight, see if your tube can be manipulated by them moving and leaning some to the outside when they are out there from a turn and you going straight ahead. let us know if that works for Yall.

I simply wonder how much the angle the boat is at with the Express in the back, and then motor and water displacement back there as a result, are contributing to this issue...?

Yup. And the center tube being 3/4 length, which in my opinion having that hull myself, has even more to do with water displacement...

+1 on the sunblock on the back of the legs. Been there, heard about it from my kid later that night.

Back