under coating for wood deck

bjgill17

Reaction score
We just bought a new 2011 Bennington fishing model but my husband is concerned with exposed wood on the underside around where the table stand has been installed. Does anyone suggest any kind of spray on or brush on wood water sealer to help protect the underside of the boat's deck. We have used deck sealers on our back porch wood deck but do not know if this type of sealers would mess up any warranty we have on the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just bought a new 2011 Bennington fishing model but my husband is concerned with exposed wood on the underside around where the table stand has been installed. Does anyone suggest any kind of spray on or brush on wood water sealer to help protect the underside of the boat's deck. We have used deck sealers on our back porch wood deck but do not know if this type of sealers would mess up any warranty we have on the boat.
7-ply pressure-treated marine-grade plywood does not need a bottom coat. Please leave it be...it has a lifetime warranty from Bennington. Now go have fun on your boat! TB

Hi seven twenty, welcome to the Owners Club! Yes, that warranty applies to all Bennington models. They use the same quality materials for all the pontoon decks, and do not recommend any type of sealer. A wave sheild, or underskin, is an option you could consider, but i am not sure it is an option on all models. It can be added at a later date if getting the underside wet truly concerns you, and it also gives a smoother, quieter ride. But for now, the warranty and quality materials used will give you many years of worry free boating, so get out and enjoy! ;)

Back