Under deck wave sheild?

the-little-B

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what it is , or better yet show me a picture of the under deck wave sheild?

The dealer has not been very helpful and doesn't even know. Is it a full under skin? Or what exactly? Thanks!

Here is a video. It is worth the cost. On mine all but about 18 inches on the bow is covered .

Thanks Jack. That video is worth a thousand words.

I'm only looking.at a 20SSX that is maxed out at 90hp but I can see it would be a benefit even on a smaller pontoon. And the 18" towards the front should not see any appreciable amount of water and yet leave access for things like trolling motor wiring , etc.

You're welcome
My 2013 ,was a 22 SLX with a 90 ,it had the wave shield . My brother in law had a 2012 S 22 without ,you could definitely tell the difference .

In my mind it is a must have for smoother ride, less stress and water impact on the underside of boat, and nicer performance on any pontoon that goes much faster than wake. If it can go fast enough to kick up water, this to me is a must have.

To be honest, I am super shocked (and would personally be concerned with) a dealer wouldn’t know what one is, be able to give details about it, and provide advise on it.

Is it a really small dealer that typically only deals in really low power toons (50hp or less set ups)?

Bennington's "Wave Tamer" isn't a completely sealed system. A shield directs water from the top of the tube area, but doesn't completely seal them off. I believe that the Wave Tamer is available on 2 tube and Express tube boats only. The full underdeck wave shield does with the SPS and ESP hulls. The 2018 brochure doesn't really help to define or show the differences, so you will need to lean on the dealer to find you the info you seek. Or, get a better qualified dealer.

Here's what the full under deck shield looks like on a boat with the Express Tube. Note you cannot see the "w" brackets at the top of the tube with this shield. The "w" brackets are visible with the Wave Tamer.

full

Last edited:
Here's what the full underdeck shields look like on a 2016 boat with SPS.

IMG_8745_zpsofnevrzt.jpg

Thanks again guys! And yeah it's a bit frustrating when you call a dealer and your answer is "I don't know , we'll have to call Bennington and find out." That is sales but I bet the guys out back have the answer.

I noticed the brackets being open and agree if they were covered it would be better. I could add the strips down the side myself without much trouble. I have access to a shear and brake. I've looked into skinning one myself and decided the better way for me to go is factory installed and me doing any area like the top of the pontoons myself if I think it's needed.

I noticed the brackets being open and agree if they were covered it would be better. I could add the strips down the side myself without much trouble. I have access to a shear and brake.

If I had access to a shear and brake I would make me the best damn, customized, sized-to-fit under deck shield on this green earth.

Right now, I have the need to snake the cable for my GPS/fishfinder device and it sure would be nice to be able to remove the necessary panels. Not easy with the factory under deck shields. Not impossible to do, but removing the panels isn't gonna happen.

Randy,
That job shouldn't be too difficult to do. I fished wires from the helm to the rear port seating area between the shield and the boat bottom. What really helped was the cheap flexible nylon fish tape from Harbor Freight. I used the one that has 3' sections that screw together. Worked like a charm.

+1 on the Harbor Freight wire fishing poles. Used them for new fish finder transducer cable.

Yes , it might be a bit of a pain to access some things but not impossible. From everyone's opinion here , it is well worth a little frustration for what you gain with the wave sheild.

I might have to do this, after I finish the new GPS and Lights. I saw that .063 was used and I saw someone say it should be thicker. I would think .063 would be good enough.

I had a 20 SLX for my first Benny. I would love to have had the wave shield under it. I felt every wave that we hit. It's on my second Benny.

I saw that .063 was used and I saw someone say it should be thicker. I would think .063 would be good enough.

I researched this quite a bit and saw that .032" was commonly used so that's what I ended up using. It has performed well and hasn't shown any signs of being too thin. It's pretty darn rigid when attached to the 24" on-center cross beams. During installation when I was cutting all of the panels with a pair of hand shears I was thanking myself for not buying anything thicker. Material in the .06ish range will certainly work, it's just going to be more difficult to work with and the end result will add unnecessary weight.

Well I got an order placed for another pontoon and included the wave shield. Details in another post coming soon! I'll check it out when it arrives and take some measurements and go with the same as what is on it. I won't worry much about it though until I get wiring fished through for the hummingbird etc...

Back