under toon lighting

bucktheplumber

Reaction score
I know this has been talked a lot this site and I have searched for pic's but not had much luck. I would like to install RGB lighting under my deck to light up my toons but i want to make sure i am mounting it in the correct location. For the blue arrow the lights would be pointing down but you can see the LED's standing back. The red arrow the LED's would be mounted in the rail shining inward. Image-1.png

I mounted mine on the beams where your blue arrow is, attached with silicone adhesive to each. I put a clothes pin at each point to allow drying. They shine directly downward toward the water and the shiny toons. Works for me. RBG Lights.jpg

Last edited:
mine are mounted where the red arrow is. Shining inward. 20170701_205034.jpg

Thank you Texagg56 that is exactly what I am looking for

this is a fuzzy pic. Taken from another boat while we were night fishing on Matagorda Bay last season. Fishing for reds. Kinda gives you the idea of what they'll look like on a big body of water. The lights in back are super white fishing lights. The greenish tint is the water, not green lights. I drop greens over the bow. We were about 4.5 to 5 miles out. Boat2 (2017-10-22T18_37_42.000).jpg

I use Frabills to light up the helm area and seating, when we take breaks. They mount on the bimini frame with Velcro straps. Each bank has 4 LED rotatable lights. Each bank runs on 6 AA's. I used them for about 6 hours each night. 2 nights. And I'm still on the first set of batteries.

I attached mine where your red arrow is after looking at a few boats that came with these lights from the factory.

And here is some info I wrote in another thread on this subject:
"I ended up using double sided tape to stick the LED strips on the inside of the aluminum rub rail extrusion. I contacted 3M technical customer service twice and got some advice from them on exactly what to do to maximize the potential for success. (I say that because the two reps I talked to had no direct experience with taping silicone membranes (which encase my LED strips) to aluminum extrusions.) Here are their tips:
1. lightly sand the silicone membrane to remove gloss. Wipe clean with lacquer thinner.
2. lightly sand the aluminum and wipe clean with lacquer thinner.
3. Apply 3M 6396 adhesion promoter to both the membrane and the aluminum. This has to flash at least 10 minutes before applying the tape. There is no limit to how long you can wait for it to still work. I got mine at Napa for $2.99 per packet. Ended up using 6 packets. It is on a little sponge and you have to work fast because it starts to evaporate from the small sponge the moment you start applying it.
4. I used a 3M auto trim pressure sensitive mounting tape (can't remember the number now). Was $43 for 50 feet at a pro auto paint and supply store. There are two adhesive sides to the tape. The adhesives on each side are not the same. Mount the tape side to the membrane and the red liner side to the aluminum.
5. The tape bond will increase over time. I don't remember the term the guy used but it seemed like the adhesive worked its way into the pores of the surfaces over some time."

I think on the inside of that rail facia, pointed inwards, it seems to protect the strips a bit better. And that close to the opposite side splashing. Really throws a nice glow on the water and toons. Get's that hard reflective quality off the splashing. If you have a "blacked out" version. Blues probably wouldn't work very well. The black will absorb too much of the blue light to be effective back on the water or toons. Blacked out versions need super white or a CTO or bastard amber type shade for some good effect.

Thanks a lot guys for all of your advice

Have a link to the led lights you guys are using? Thanks

all of mine are dealer install.

Back