Underdeck Connector

sunedog

Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 2275 GCW and plan to add LED strip lights down the sides this weekend. I found two of these unused connectors conveniently attached under the deck about 7 feet from the bow.
underdeck connector.JPG

The wiring diagram you guys provided in the other section shows a "plug for customer use" with three wires going to it -- red/black for constant 12v, purple for ignition on 12v, and black for ground. Mine only has two -- blue/white and black. I assume that is because my boat is a little older than the diagram. I didn't have time to test it, but I feel sure the blue/white is fed by one of the switches on the dash. That's perfect for my application.

My question is how are you guys connecting to it? I don't think I've ever seen a connector like that and don't know what it is called or where to source a mating piece. I could lop it off and use butt connectors or solder wires to the two wires that go into it. But that seems like a shame since it was obviously provided for owners to utilize.

See if you have a unused male end (?) under helm. Cut it off (cap those wires) and use it to tie in. That’s what I did for my Simrad install ..... if I ever need the other set of wires, I’ll add a wire proof set I use in my Jeep light installs.

See if you have a unused male end (?) under helm. Cut it off (cap those wires) and use it to tie in. That’s what I did for my Simrad install ..... if I ever need the other set of wires, I’ll add a wire proof set I use in my Jeep light installs.

I'll look. Thanks!

Do you have speakers under the front loungers in the corners?

Do you have speakers under the front loungers in the corners?

Ummm. Dunno. Just got the boat and I don't remember. But you make a great point. Maybe I found the wires for the optional speakers. Boy would I be disappointed if I soldered them to my new LED lights. Can't wait to get home and check. I'll report back. Thanks.

Carl -- I do have speakers in the front lounges. I also have two in the rear lounges, one in the console and one on the side of the port side lounge, for a total of six. I think what I found are pre-wired speaker wires for two more speakers. I took a quick look inside the console and see a few unconnected, terminated wires. Didn't have time to cut some tie wraps, pull things apart and trace them down. Will do that this weekend in search of the "plug for customer use" so I can connect to my new LED's.

Can't really see the wires in your pic but it looks like the same setup as on my '06. Mine has a terminated connector under each bow corner (grey/blue and black) that are for additional task lighting in the bow corner boxes. The wires are already connected to one of the rocker switches at the helm. Check the inside of your corner boxes and see if there's already a cutout in the wood for a light to be installed, mine just has the factory vinyl covering the holes so you cant see the cutouts from the outside. I know you want to do strip lights but if there is a ready-made spot for additional lights up front it makes sense the wiring is already in place as well. If you can't find some unused male connectors for the factory connection you can either just solder and shrink tube the connections or if you prefer doing something more finished looking pick up some 2-wire weather pack connectors from your local auto supply store.

IMG_0895.jpg

Last edited:
I never thought about the courtesy light that I have on our 2007. They are in each of the bow corner seats.

Finished installing my LED strip lights down the outside over the weekend. The pre-wired connector I was looking for - "plug for customer use" -- is connected to the accessory switch. I didn't use it because that single switch already powers the radio, Garmin, and 12 volt outlet. I don't always want my LED strip lights on, but I do want all the others on during normal usage. And I couldn't use the Nav / Anchor switch for the same reason.

So I ended up utilizing unused wiring under the console for the bilge pump that I don't have. It connects to the top part of double position rocker switch on the left:
rocker switches.JPG

Next goal is to find a matching rocker switch cover that indicates the LED lighting. I know the manufacturer is Carling Technologies.
rocker switch manufacturer.JPG

I searched their site but don't see the same style switches available to the public. Probably an OEM exclusive design. I'll check with my dealer when they open tomorrow.

Can't really see the wires in your pic but it looks like the same setup as on my '06. Mine has a terminated connector under each bow corner (grey/blue and black) that are for additional task lighting in the bow corner boxes. The wires are already connected to one of the rocker switches at the helm. Check the inside of your corner boxes and see if there's already a cutout in the wood for a light to be installed, mine just has the factory vinyl covering the holes so you cant see the cutouts from the outside. I know you want to do strip lights but if there is a ready-made spot for additional lights up front it makes sense the wiring is already in place as well. If you can't find some unused male connectors for the factory connection you can either just solder and shrink tube the connections or if you prefer doing something more finished looking pick up some 2-wire weather pack connectors from your local auto supply store.

View attachment 21689

That would be great if the two connectors are wired for additional task lighting in the bow because the next project is multi colored LED strip lights under the seat edges. Gotta have a dance floor (but not while underway). This is from my former boat -- a 2001 Bennington 2250 LX.
B74457C2-5DA2-4AC2-98D8-5ABF93A8B716.JPG

Looks like a good boating ratio. 2:1 female to male.

Looks like a good boating ratio. 2:1 female to male.

That's my typical crew. Wife's girlfriend (Supergirl) and my wife (Batgirl). Not bad for 50 and 56 years old.

Supergirls.JPG

Back