Underwater LED lights on the back of the pontoons

TWT95

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the wiring is run for the underwater LEDs that mount to the rear of the outside two pontoons?  A couple of LEDs on one of the lights have stopped working.  While my boat is under warranty and my dealer gave me the replacement fixture, I figured I would change it out instead of taking the boat off the lake and hauling it 2 1/2 hours to the dealer.  The wire runs through a hole in the back of the boat over the pontoon.  I thought maybe it ran through the engine compartment (we have the in board/outboard on our Q), but it doesn't.  It looks like it should run all the way to the hull to connect to the switch, but I got under the hull and had my brother tug on the wire to see if anything moved.  Nada.  I'll go by the dealer since I live somewhat near them and talk to the service manager and see if they can enlighten me, but wanted to see if anyone here had any information.

Thanks!

Tyson

Wish I could help, but I'm not very handy in these areas.  Hopefully some others can chime in on this topic.  Nevertheless, I wanted to pass along a "good luck" with your project.  Hope it falls into place easily for you.

I spoke to the service dept. at my dealer. They said there wasn't really any trick to it. They gave me some splicing connectors that you heat up with a lighter to make the insulation shrink to make the connection waterproof. They said that this is the way they would fix it. So I did that and everything worked. I shoved the slack up through The hole the wire was running through and then zip tied it so that it wouldn't pull out. I could see that the original connection on the whip on the LED was a snap connector that was about 6" farther inside the hole that the wire was run through.  The other wire that this connector was snapped in to was secured somehow and that was preventing me from pulling it out and therefore requiring me to splice the new whip to the old whip.  Without some major dismantling there is no way to reach this snap connector.  I realize that LEDs are supposed to last virtually forever, but in this instance the installation design here could be improved.

Back