Underway with LED Lighting and Other Illegal lighting Acts

Smoky Mountain

Reaction score
I see more and more boats (mostly toons) with tricked out LED strip lighting along the toons and reflecting off the tubes and water. These lights shouldn't be running/operational while underway making way as they definitely interfere seeing navigation lighting especially the starboard running light.

I had a 8 mile ride home after 4th fireworks and couldn't believe the number of boats with them and being used while underway. I had to spotlight some boats that were going slowly to quickly determine what they were up to.

Turn the lights off when cruising, simple enough. As you may know the only lights you are supposed to have on at night are navigational lights, nothing else.

If you are looking for a reason to be inspected at night just keep running those lights especially the colored Bimini strips.

Law enforcement on the water informed me that as long as they cant be seen and, do not interfere with nav lights and do not strobe, all is good.

PART C—LIGHTS AND SHAPES

RULE 20

Application

The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited,except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified inthese Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or

interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the Heads up. We were talking about this exact item in this thread. I think this Topic should be a sicky!!

Thanks for the Heads up. We were talking about this exact item in this thread. I think this Topic should be a sicky!!
Very cool set-up.

I forgot about running with the docking lights on. Another illegal act and peeve of mine. It's not I-75 folks.

Your points are well taken and illegal lighting is a mile away invitation for an inspection.

I wanted to add red and green led's down the sides, thought it would make it real easy for other boaters to see which way I was going. I got out my 2012 boating law book for Arkansas and it clearly states" one nav. light per side". So much for my idea.

Back