Unsure on a 2019 21ssrcxp bennington

Mikemat

Reaction score
Thinking about a 2019 bennington 21 ssrcx with express tubes and the Yamaha 115hp vmax. Will not be towing any skiers or water sports. Has anybody else had this set up good thoughts or bad thoughts?

For what you are describing not a bad set up. But I will say if you can afford to go to a 150hp, I would suggest that. On this forum you will see many say they wish they had more hp but no one ever says they wish they had less.

For what you are describing not a bad set up. But I will say if you can afford to go to a 150hp, I would suggest that. On this forum you will see many say they wish they had more hp but no one ever says they wish they had less.

Think the 115 is the highest for the Express toon, need to go to SPS to get the 150

Think the 115 is the highest for the Express toon, need to go to SPS to get the 150

Yes. Good point. So it will be more expensive than just upgrading the engine.

I recently picked up 21’ SSRCX. 2 toons. 115 HP Yamaha. We love it for what we got it for, which was cruising, and some fishing, around the lake and hanging out in spots. Top speed with 2 (and dog) of us was about 32 MPH, but we’re typically cruising between 8 and 20. And the 115 will go about 2 if we want to try some speed trolling. We also have a 4 Winns for our skiing, tubing, speeding on the lake needs, so the pontoon is really our slow cruise vessel. The pontoon has been much better than expected on rough waters (we get some pretty rough waters on our inland lake (Burt Lake in MI)), as long as not going perpendicular to wave action. I’m sure express tube option would do much better with MPH, even better in rough waters, and other performance areas. Not sure if express package has wave shield, but that is a must have now that I have experienced it, and I’m sure a big part of the reason for smoother rough water experience.

Tomc
Thank you for the feed back. I'm considering a 2019 Bennington 21 ssrcxp with a 150hp merc and the sps package. My only concern is that everyone is telling me to go no less than 23ft. I will be taking it to the chain o lakes in fox lake Illinois and on the weekends get pretty crowed and there can be some big chop.It will be another $3500 for a 23 ft and money is allways a concern. The 21ft actually measures just under 21ft. I had a 19ft sea ray deep v years ago and not sure how this new one would compare to the 19ft. And suggestions.

it all depends on how you plan to use and how many people you’ll normally will be brining along. My boat had the extended aft so meausres just under 22’, but that does not make for more seating. We mostly ride with me and my wife, and then another couple or two.

When we were looking I felt the 23 was just too much for us, and I knew a 20 was going to be to short. If we were going to have the changing room, or bar, or fishing seats in the back, I would have gone longer. But I went to several boat shows to climb on various models, configurations, and to determine length. And then went to a couple dealers to do the same. It wasn’t long before I knew I wanted to be in 21, 22’ range for our needs.

If you are having different accessories, or plan to cruise with more than 6 on a regular basis, I’d suggest a longer boat. And you may even feel with 6 the 21 is not long enough, but we’re happy with it. As far as rough waters, I wouldn’t worry about the 21, ours has been great on some really choppy days(and again we only have 2 toons). Others on the forum have more experience with longer boats though, and could comment better on that.

I have a 2017 20SLXP with SPS Tritoons and 115 and it handles big chop on Lake Anna VA without any issues. I would not be concerned.

I had a 19ft sea ray deep v years ago and not sure how this new one would compare to the 19ft

We had a Grady White Tournament 19 for many years. Dual console bowrider. Anyone riding in the bow area would get beat up pretty bad on anything more than the calmest days. Crossing a wake at speed would be painful.

Compare that to our 24 ft Bennington with EPS that we just got. Folks can sit up in the front with no issues at all. Yes, the boat is 5 feet longer. But from a functionality standpoint, it's about 10 feet longer. The Grady was crowded with 5 people on it. We have had 10 on the Bennington, and it was just a party. Not crowded.

Final thought from me... Initially my brain was telling me that our new boat was under powered with the 150 Yamaha. Finally realized that it was because I didn't have to constantly man the throttle to back off whenever a boat wake or wave appeared. It does it's 37 mph or so into anything. Doing 37 in the Grady was a lot more effort, because you always had to be prepared to slow down at a moment's notice.

Back