Unussual black spots appearring on upholstery

OurNorth

Reaction score
Hi,

Our 2015 is generally covered, once in a while, when there is no rain and it is not pollen season it will be uncovered overnight. The lift is 100 foot from shore and there are no overhanging trees or structures. We do not have issues with birds.

Over the last couple days this black material has developed in the small creases of the vinyl. I have used recommended celaners and brushes but they are having no effect. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 20200714_173130.jpg
    20200714_173130.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 20200714_173107.jpg
    20200714_173107.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 126
  • dock.jpg
    dock.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 113
Mold...You should really cover your boat.

Yup a little mildew. I have used this product from Walmart for years to control mildew on my seats/carpet. Just spray on and let sit for a few seconds and wipe off. It'll disappear.......15947748236056851670570125348288.jpg

What the others said but be carful with bleach on the threads.
looks like glen lake in the back ground “alligator hill”

What the others said but be carful with bleach on the threads.
looks like glen lake in the back ground “alligator hill”
Yes, I should have said to test in an inconspicuous place first. But I have used this product so many times for years I trust it to get rid of the mildew. My 16 yr. old seats looked brand new when we sold it.IMG_20200417_102900813.jpgIMG_20200417_102907091.jpg

Yes Glen Lake

I love that lake. My wife’s family has a place on little glen across from that little motel and the dune climb. Love that area.

Starting coming to the area in 2004 and bought a place 5 years later. Now, two homes later, we are permanent Glen Lake residents.

Attachments

• 20190615_215748.jpg
    20190615_215748.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 18
Tried a product with the same two active ingredients as the Great Value product. I let it sit and used a small stiff brush, no result. Frustrating.

Tried a product with the same two active ingredients as the Great Value product. I let it sit and used a small stiff brush, no result. Frustrating.
Damn! Always had positive results with that product. The mildew always disappeared after applying. Back to the drawing board.....

I had mold on the underside of our seats for the first time since getting our boat in 2017 when it came out of storage this year. Our dealer recommended a product they sell. It is called “Amazing” Marine Mold Remover. If I think of it tomorrow, I will add a picture of the bottle.

It worked just as the title implies. Took it all of immediately. However, that was on the underside fabric, not the top side vinyl. I hope you find something that works properly, without doing any damage to the seating.

I've been boating for 30 years and have dealt with mold and mildew spots for years in the humid South. I have tried at least 10 different cleaner / mold removers over the years. Nothing has performed like Marine 31 did for me a couple of months ago. A little pricey at about $28 delivered from Amazon (Marine 31 Mildew Remover (20 oz) ) but worth every penny to m. As with any strong cleaner on vinyl, rinse copiously when you're done cleaning and then apply a good vinyl protectant like 303 Aerospance Protectant.

If you want to avoid chlorine bleach, try OxiClean. I've had success with that, but buy the active ingredient online. It is Sodium Percarbonate. Don't apply in the sun as that will cancel it's action.

I've been boating for 30 years and have dealt with mold and mildew spots for years in the humid South. I have tried at least 10 different cleaner / mold removers over the years. Nothing has performed like Marine 31 did for me a couple of months ago. A little pricey at about $28 delivered from Amazon (Marine 31 Mildew Remover (20 oz) ) but worth every penny to m. As with any strong cleaner on vinyl, rinse copiously when you're done cleaning and then apply a good vinyl protectant like 303 Aerospance Protectant.
Add the Marine 31 Mildew Guard. Used it and it is amazing.

Starting coming to the area in 2004 and bought a place 5 years later. Now, two homes later, we are permanent Glen Lake residents.
Wow! That's a beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing.

Can anybody tell me if the black mooring cover that comes with the Bennington ever leaves marks on the top of the lounge when covered?
My last boat had a black ‘Sunbrella’ mooring cover which marked my upholstery. It looked just like mould.
I don’t want to use it on my new pontoon if there is a risk. I‘ll prefer to keep my double bimini up and use the enclosure.

I’ve had black covers on two boats with light upholstery for 7 years, no spots.

I’ve never had issues with ours, but I am in a more northerly climate. I wonder if a climate with scorching heat for long stretches of time each the year would make a difference? Anyone in the extreme south/southwest have any feedback in this regard?

I bought my 2011 boat about 4 years ago and the OEM cover was black. I didn't have any discoloration, but the tops of the front couches were very stiff, brittle and are now pretty significantly cracked. I attribute that to the direct contact between the black cover and those parts of the seats. The cover wore out and I replaced it last year with a tan Sunbrella cover. But the damage is done to the seats.

Back