Unusual Deck Stain

WoodBH

Reaction score
My 2016 Bennington 21SX has developed a very strange, large stain on the stern deck forward of the motor and behind the rail. This portion of the boat is open to the weather. There is no rust dripping from above or anywhere on the boat. We’ve used cleaners, straight bleach, CLR plenty of elbow grease scrubbing it and even pressure washed it to no avail. It’s almost like it’s rusting from underneath? Bennington dealer/service is stumped. See photos below. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 38620A4A-49F2-444F-888A-80ACDFF3D05F.jpeg
    38620A4A-49F2-444F-888A-80ACDFF3D05F.jpeg
    246 KB · Views: 61
  • AAC4C066-F0E0-46C5-A62D-26044D528FDC.jpeg
    AAC4C066-F0E0-46C5-A62D-26044D528FDC.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 5D37D2DC-A061-42D5-83FD-5BCFE9BBEBFA.jpeg
    5D37D2DC-A061-42D5-83FD-5BCFE9BBEBFA.jpeg
    199.7 KB · Views: 60
  • F2856D79-D53D-483D-95B3-DA52CE81E82A.jpeg
    F2856D79-D53D-483D-95B3-DA52CE81E82A.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 60
That is strange. I have used WD-40 on grease stains for carpet, but not sure how it would work on this type of flooring. If you use it, maybe try a very small test area first? Let us know how it progresses. Hopefully it is covered under warranty. Maybe the glue from the flooring is bleeding thru?

You are not.the first one to have this issue. I have seen other posters on this site as well as others I go to. Talk with your dealer and see what they have to see but from the other posts I've seen on this issue it is probably a glue or flooring material problem.

I have a similar stain on my aft by the motor.

I had the same stain in the same place on my boat. Turns out it was from spilled gas. I only use ethanol free and since not available on the lake I carry it in 5 gallon containers. No matter what I did could not remove stain. Bugged me so much I eventually had the vinyl replaced. Have learned to be extra careful

Use a super siphon.

You are not.the first one to have this issue. I have seen other posters on this site as well as others I go to. Talk with your dealer and see what they have to see but from the other posts I've seen on this issue it is probably a glue or flooring material problem.
Yes, there have definitely been other posts on this matter and I believe the floors were replaced under warranty. Check the other posts out.

My 2016 Bennington 21SX has developed a very strange, large stain on the stern deck forward of the motor and behind the rail. This portion of the boat is open to the weather. There is no rust dripping from above or anywhere on the boat. We’ve used cleaners, straight bleach, CLR plenty of elbow grease scrubbing it and even pressure washed it to no avail. It’s almost like it’s rusting from underneath? Bennington dealer/service is stumped. See photos below. Thoughts?
To be clear, it appears that you have carpeting rather than vinyl but I have similar staining on my vinyl. At first, I thought it was caused by a poor acid wash my dealer performed but over the past few years there have been a number of people that have posted with similar stains. Thankfully, my stains have faded since 2017 so they are not as noticeable because I haven't gotten anywhere with regard to a warranty claim.

This is what my stains look like:
IMG_1049.JPGIMG_1126.JPG

Boy - that staining looks bad and frustrating, especially on the newer vinyl flooring. I wonder if UV light is impacting it. Is it covered when not in use?

Actually, the bow area is covered but not the stern. However, only the port side of the stern is affected so UV rays seem an unlikely culprit. As I previously indicated, I believe that the staining was the direct result of a poor acid wash, which the dealer is not disputing. However, I've seen some pictures from other owners that look like mine but had not been subjected to acid. Thankfully I have a 10 year warranty and the stains have mellowed in the past few seasons.

Just a note that the floor is vinyl, not carpet.

Just a note that the floor is vinyl, not carpet.
Wow, for the life of me, that looks like carpet even after looking again. Guess I'm just used to the bamboo look that I have. That said, our stains look quite similar.

Back