UPF Hitch Lock

JColberg18

Reaction score
Anyone have a good lock that will fit a UPF hitch? I have to store my trailer outside at my lake house over the winter (boat on order) and I want to make sure it won’t “easily” walk away.
E5038CC5-0C46-4E71-9FAD-5B2AE4C89398.png

Last edited:
I’ve used many different types of trailer tongue locks on various trailers over the years and was shocked at how easily defeated every single one of them are after recently watching some videos showing their weaknesses. I feel that most of the options can actually be relatively effective ”keeping the honest people honest” as long as in a location where making noise will be problematic for the thief. Armed with a grinder and sledgehammer, the locks are quickly and easily defeated while making a racket. If your neighbors at the lake are not there year around, I would be more concerned. I always try to position the trailer in a place not visible from the road, as the wrong people driving by making note of a trailer not moving for weeks or months at a time have time to formulate a plan to get it out of there quickly.

I try to make it difficult by putting a lock on the hitch, a chain around the frame to a tree or fixed object, and remove tires on the sunny side. If they want it, they will get it, but it will be a little more work. Sad that we have to do this to protect stuff.

My trailer has one side that the sun really seems to hit the tires. Thus, to try to avoid dry rot, I decided to remove those tires. The other option was to cover them like RV trailer parks do.

you may also consider a locking chock or a "boot" for one of the wheels.

You don't need a lock. Just put a sign on it that says:

"Broken Welds. Do not load boat."

No one will steal it.

Our trailer is in a secure 24 hour monitored facility, but I use a coupler lock from Proven Industries www.provenlocks.com, which slows them down a lot more than the typical ones you get on Amazon. It's pricey but worth it to me. They're the guys who exposed on Youtube many of the cheap coupler locks as defeat-able in 30 seconds or less. We also have a wheel boot lock. It's still a simple matter for them to hook up chains under the coupler and drag the trailer somewhere else to defeat it. Simply removing 2 bolts can free up the entire coupler if they choose, and they just bolt another on without a lock.

Bottom line is if they want it they'll get it, so a tiny stick on battery powered Spot Trace satellite tracker is an inexpensive way ($50 with rebate and $50 annual subscription) to know if it is moved and where it is going. If motion is detected, it gives lat/lon location notifications every 5 minutes on a phone app or browser and works really well https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/products-services/spot-trace. It can be hidden on the trailer or the boat. The battery lasts several months depending on the settings and activity.

Our trailer is in a secure 24 hour monitored facility, but I use a coupler lock from Proven Industries www.provenlocks.com, which slows them down a lot more than the typical ones you get on Amazon. It's pricey but worth it to me. They're the guys who exposed on Youtube many of the cheap coupler locks as defeat-able in 30 seconds or less. We also have a wheel boot lock. It's still a simple matter for them to hook up chains under the coupler and drag the trailer somewhere else to defeat it. Simply removing 2 bolts can free up the entire coupler if they choose, and they just bolt another on without a lock.

Bottom line is if they want it they'll get it, so a tiny stick on battery powered Spot Trace satellite tracker is an inexpensive way ($50 with rebate and $50 annual subscription) to know if it is moved and where it is going. If motion is detected, it gives lat/lon location notifications every 5 minutes on a phone app or browser and works really well https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/products-services/spot-trace. It can be hidden on the trailer or the boat. The battery lasts several months depending on the settings and activity.
I hear what you're saying, but after a few years of paying for that subscription it would more than cover my deductible for a new trailer or boat. Just not worth it to me. As you said, if someone wants it they're going to get it. I'm not going to go looking for it even if I know where it's at, that's good way to get shot. That's up to the police, and where I live I know from personal experience they have better things to do than chase down stolen property they don't care about.

I like others have multiple locks on my trailer. I bought this one a few years ago, not sure how good it actually works but to me it gives the appearance of “you’re not going to simply walk off with my trailer”. That being said I also have two other locks on the trailer in addition to this one. A simple ball lock and a pad lock on the tongue.
https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TCL65-Wheel-Chock-Lock/dp/B08ZLJ7342

I like others have multiple locks on my trailer. I bought this one a few years ago, not sure how good it actually works but to me it gives the appearance of “you’re not going to simply walk off with my trailer”. That being said I also have two other locks on the trailer in addition to this one. A simple ball lock and a pad lock on the tongue.
https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TCL65-Wheel-Chock-Lock/dp/B08ZLJ7342
It absolutely does that. It keeps the honest people honest.

I like the idea of removing tires the best. Thieves are generally lazy and will avoid difficult opportunities. It’s the same idea of having a barking dog in the house. Most of the Hitch Locks that fit your UPF Trailer are so small (mine is 1/4” diameter) it’s a joke. Also, many of the Locks that fit into the Hitch don’t work as the UPF is square on the end. JMHO

Put a few ”slow you down” security measures such as the above in place ALONG WITH an economical outdoor security camera with two way communication looking over it. I prefer Wyze cams for cheap but easy to use jobs like this.

Enable notification settings by playing around with the sensitivity level of the trailer camera while on site - fine tune it for whenever a person approaches it.

That way if anyone approaches your trailer, you can get the notification in real time, pull up the live camera feed on your phone/tablet/computer AND communicate directly with whomever is there.

I’d imagine it working well when someone approaches and is checking out your trailer (maybe with an eye towards stealing it) and you come over the camera and say to them: “Can I help you. This trailer is security monitored and I now have your image saved. Would you prefer sitting ot standing while I contact the police”. Or “Hey asshole, you’re on canid-camera. Guess who’s on the way?” ;)

I use an anchor chain through two wheels when I'm in a place that I'm worried about (however, most of the time my boat is inside locked storage).
A while back, I lost an anchor when it snagged a stump and the shackle broke. Chain was heavy duty with the end links larger to accept a shackle - or a padlock.

Yeah, it can be defeated but based on our usage pattern, they'd have to do it in a public marina parking lot.

I use two locks on mine when parked in the drive. Both can be compromised, but any deterrent is better than none, oh, and I have a Ring video aimed right at my boat, so if anyone messes with it, I’ll make a movie star out of them. If the insurance company needs proof that I did my part to protect it, I’ve got it!

FE43022E-EDD1-4392-A23F-C15394784C6F.jpeg5288826B-ED14-45AF-908F-C10F989C09AC.jpeg

Last edited:
My setup was the same as @Spoiledrotten above, I also had a heavy cable lock (heavy duty cable that had eyelets in each end with a thick U-lock securing them) that I ran through each wheel on one side so it couldn't roll.

Many won't know the story of my first boat that the 4 or 5 6-10 year old neighbour kids pulled the wheel chocks out from under the wheels and proceeded to PUSH my boat down the driveway!! Luckily the jack wheel up front was turned just the right amount that it missed my neighbours tree and house and stopped on his front lawn with just the tongue about a foot into the roadway!! My neighbour called me and said "uhh hey, just wanted to let you know your boat is in my front yard" I assure you MANY profanities were yelled at the two neighbours and their kids!! From that day on there was a cable lock through the wheels, keeping honest people honest!

Back