Upgrade or not?

Nielsen's

Reaction score
So I have a 2075GL with a Yamaha F75 4 stroke.   I have the opertunity to purchase a Yamaha 115 Hp 4 stroke of the same year.   I would go larger but the boat nameplate states max. motor of 115 hp.  Will the extra 40 hp make a significant difference in speed and turning power?  My boys have been wanting max speed of the 75 for several years while tubing.

If your boat has strakes then yes, but if not I don't think you're going to see much of a improvement.

I think you'd see a difference either way, but like Carl says above, with lifting strakes it will likely be very noticeable. I think going up 40hp from where you are at is a nice bump up.

Out of curiosity, do you have lifting strakes?  Also, do you have an opportunity to test drive a similar boat that has a 115 on it? 

Perhaps others on here have experience with your set up with a 115 and can chime in...?

So I have a 2075GL with a Yamaha F75 4 stroke.   I have the opertunity to purchase a Yamaha 115 Hp 4 stroke of the same year.   I would go larger but the boat nameplate states max. motor of 115 hp.  Will the extra 40 hp make a significant difference in speed and turning power?  My boys have been wanting max speed of the 75 for several years while tubing.

Not exactly the same boat, but you should at least get this performance - or better with a 115.  This is a 24 SLi w/115 4-stroke, which is a bigger boat (heavier), and is a tritoon (again, heavier).   Top speed in the low-to-mid 30s would be my guess. http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/bulletins/bulletin_4stroke_midthrustjetport_pp_bnt_24sli_f115tlr_2010-10-13_pnt.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure you'll see some performance improvements with the 115 but probably not what you'd expect. If your kids are bugging you for performance, speed, turning etc. (75 may be pushing it!) you should spend the money a little wiser on a tri-toon. If the price is right and you don't have to put a ton of money in the re-rig then it may satisfy your needs for now. As the comment section have said, lifting strakes will make the biggest difference for that up grade, my assumption is you don't have them starting off with a 75hp. Best of luck in your decision!! Keep us posted!

Well the 115 was sold before I could buy it.  I will look into strakes. 

Back