Upgrade Stereo head unit

jfluhr18

Reaction score
So I have the original deck and the aux. port does not work any longer so time to upgrade.  One thing that is a must is blue tooth.  The deck that is currently in the boat is the Sony CDX-M60UI.  It is mounted under the raised helm with a remote mounted above. The remote is the Sony marine RM-X60M,  I also have a USB port above which is the only way I can currently play music (besides CD's) since the Aux. does not work.  My question is how do I choose a deck to make sure the current remote and USB work with the new deck?  Or even better, does anyone have suggestions for a deck?  My speakers are powered by an amp so I am not concerned with having top of the line.  Just need a good blue tooth deck that will be compatible with the remote and USB port.

Thanks!!

I replaced my original Sony with another Sony unit specifically for the BlueTooth capability.  It was easy to swap it out, no changes or cutting the console.  The sound is good - I'm out on the water so the engine is running, waves are splashing, etc. - don't need to be an audiophile to listen to Alan Jackson at 30 mph.

I BT Audio from my Android and life is good.

don't need to be an audiophile to listen to Alan Jackson at 30 mph.

I BT Audio from my Android and life is good.

Havin a good time. 

My OEM is a Sony, DSX-M50BT, decent unit, Bluetooth, USB, Aux input, optional remote.  Speakers were crap though, put new 4 new JL ones in a couple weeks ago.  Its all good now.     

Matt, that's the exact one I have on my boat.  I didn't want the CD (haven't even played a CD in years), but the BT was what I wanted.

That is what replaced the unit I have.  I agree, don't need no stinkin' CDs.  BT or Aux, 4G, and all the worlds music is in your hand.

Well, those are both car stereos, so the steering wheel reference is for car applications.  USB is an electronic standard, so USB is USB no matter what brand.  A new unit would probably require a new remote, this one has one, is marine rated, but no CD.  

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSXM55BT-Digital-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B01H74WC20/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Matt,

So when it says it has a remote, is that the hand remote or the dash mounted remote?  I would like to find one that I can still use the factory remote since the deck is mounted inside raised helm door.

Yeah ,you may have to contact Sony to see whats compatible with the wired remote . I'm going to have the same issue if something happens to mine 

Hey Folks, I think I may have some info to help you on the Remote topic of the sony Head unit. My 2012 QCW came with the SONY Headunit and wired remote. It has a Dash mounted very common Sony Marine Commander remote. It connect to the hedunit with 2 cables 1 is a Sony Cable for data, This tells your remote the Name and Title of the song info/ the 2nd cable is a common off the shelf 3.5 MM headphone cable Male to Female. This provides the signal for up and down volume as well as forward and back ect.

I upgraded to the SONY MEX XB100BT. I plugged in my dash mounted stock remote. Didn't work. I thought it was because the 2 units were not compatible.  So I ordered a new remote that I thought would work. I plugged it in and It didn't work. I boxed it up and returned it that day.

I later found out that you need to "Program the head unit to accept a wired remote signal"

yup that's right go into the head unit menu. Select (steering wheel control), Select (wired remote) Then your head unit will ask you to push each the buttons on the remote, Your head unit will register all the commands from the remote and your good to go

Hey Folks, I think I may have some info to help you on the Remote topic of the sony Head unit. My 2012 QCW came with the SONY Headunit and wired remote. It has a Dash mounted very common Sony Marine Commander remote. It connect to the hedunit with 2 cables 1 is a Sony Cable for data, This tells your remote the Name and Title of the song info/ the 2nd cable is a common off the shelf 3.5 MM headphone cable Male to Female. This provides the signal for up and down volume as well as forward and back ect.

I upgraded to the SONY MEX XB100BT. I plugged in my dash mounted stock remote. Didn't work. I thought it was because the 2 units were not compatible.  So I ordered a new remote that I thought would work. I plugged it in and It didn't work. I boxed it up and returned it that day.

I later found out that you need to "Program the head unit to accept a wired remote signal"

yup that's right go into the head unit menu. Select (steering wheel control), Select (wired remote) Then your head unit will ask you to push each the buttons on the remote, Your head unit will register all the commands from the remote and your good to go

Thanks for a great tip. I'll have to remember that if I ever get around to replacing my '13 Sony HU.

MrG,

Thanks for the info.

I talked to the dealer and they told me I will not find a "newer" deck that is compatible with the current remote.  They said they could get the remote to partially work but would not have a display which I don't like.  Anyone have any other suggestions?  All I want is bluetooth so I can sit on the beach and control the music.  I'm really starting to dislike the deck mounted under the helm!!

So I have the original deck and the aux. port does not work any longer so time to upgrade.  One thing that is a must is blue tooth.  The deck that is currently in the boat is the Sony CDX-M60UI.  It is mounted under the raised helm with a remote mounted above. The remote is the Sony marine RM-X60M,  I also have a USB port above which is the only way I can currently play music (besides CD's) since the Aux. does not work.  My question is how do I choose a deck to make sure the current remote and USB work with the new deck?  Or even better, does anyone have suggestions for a deck?  My speakers are powered by an amp so I am not concerned with having top of the line.  Just need a good blue tooth deck that will be compatible with the remote and USB port.

Thanks!!

I have the exact same Sony and the lcd readout is totally gone and I want to upgrade to BT anyway.  I bought a Sony MEX-M70BT and thought it would be an easy swap....plug and play, well  NOT so much. The wiring harness plugs are different so do I need to cut the current pigtail harness and splice/solder in the new one or do they make an adaptor?  Also, looking on this site, it shows the white plug(AQ-UNH-2 wiring harness 12 pin) but it is not even close to what mine is. Thanks for any tips/suggestions.  

Back