Upgrade to 150hp

You might give Ken at www.propgods.com a call, awesome resource and knowledge. He allows exchanges until you get it right so I think you're just out shipping charges.

That's a great idea to see if they will rent me one to try out. I am going to call and see if they have a 13k available. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. ;)

TomS thanks for the resource.  I love this forum everyone is always so willing to help out and be positive. You guys Rock! 

Does elevation play a part of speed.  Or even pitch selection?  I have been at 7,612'.  When I told my Prop guy that my 15 pitch was a dud.  He asked me what elevation I was running at.  He told me the 15 he gave me will work well at Lake Powell which is 4,118'.  I really didn't think prop selection would have anything to do with elevation. Perhaps that is why you guys get these great results who have similar set up as I do.  I am assuming you guys are at a lower elevation..

Uou really are trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. Enjoy your boat "as is" and save any extra money toward upgrading into the future.

There is little, if any, expenditures you can make to your current boat to make it perform to your dreams. It's just NOT gonna happen.

Speed on the water costs big bucks. Trust me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would look at spending the money on installing lifting strakes or log upgrade. This should get you to plane out faster and get more speed out of your 90hp. If you are able to add them for a reasonable price then you can look at a repower. I have the Evinrude Etec 250 G2 and have been extremely pleased with performance and fuel consumption. jmho

Randy (Goldnrod) probably gave you the best advice. You and I have a 90 HP on our boats. If you get out and try to outrun ski boats, or try to compare yours to one, then you will be disappointed. We have pontoon boats. They weren't "intended" to race around the lakes, but due to the discontent of many, they've been turned into faster boats, although, you can take your same 90 HP motor and put it on a good sized joh boat, and it will outrun some of those ski boats. I say that because the boat you have was made to cruise around, drinking girly drinks with your friends and family. 

These other guys that have their pontoons doing 40 - 45 are going great with what they have, but they did spend the bigger bucks getting that 45 MPH. Again, you could take that same motor they have and put it on a low profile fiberglass bass boat, and it would be doing 70+, so it's still got everything to do with what you put the motor on. 

Back to Randy's magic statement: Enjoy what you have, and if you need more speed, then pull out the wallet and start throwing money at a larger motor, under-skirting, lifting strakes, etc., then you still might not get exactly what you want. JMHO. 

Altitude definitely affects performance in terms of horsepower and torque, so if that curve is changing, the match of the prop to the torque curve changes too. A supercharged engine such as Merc Verado and some of the high performance PWC's have a bit more leeway to deal with that variation, whereas naturally aspirated motors don't so much.

There is lots of good advice from others here who have been through both pontoon and engine upgrades. Personally, I wouldn't put a 150 on a 2 toon boat that didn't have at least lifting strakes or 2 ellipticals, or better yet add an express center tube along with strakes to get lift. Otherwise you're just pushing water aside.

Then there is also the steering issues involved with higher horse power. Enjoy what you have and start saving for the next one!

If it were me... I'd stick it on a trailer and take it to your dealer and talk trade in value. OR, for your go fast tendencies, look into a used jet ski.

Back