Upgraded Bennington - 23SSRCX or 23SSRCXP

Jeff Pearl

Reaction score
Due to a small accident on my 2012 24' SLX, I'm looking at the possibility of upgrading into a new pontoon. The major reason for the upgrade is to get the newer vinyl flooring and a bit better seating configuration.

I have a few questions:

The capacity states 13. It seems that the seating is better then the SLX I'm coming from. If I had the extra door seat, will it increase capacity to 14?

1. Is it worth the 'P' Premium upgrade worth the extra 2K?
2. Is it worth paying for the extended aft. It seems that it will make it easier for the kids to be getting in and out of the water. Since I won't have a port side door, it seems that it will make it easier to load from this side.
3. What interior options would you choose? Are the pillow-top seats worth the extra money?
4. I'm thinking the in-floor storage is worth the extra money for a place to store my cover.

Any other must-do options?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

As far as the capacity ,mine states 14 or 1920 lbs . So all of my passengers would have to weight about 125 lbs each ,plus the fact there is only enough seating for 10 with the bow gate seat

I think so. It would not be my first priority if I had to sacrifice something practical for it, but it does add a much more plush look to the entire boat, and it does provide a lot of subtle cosmetic upgrades built into it. I cannot remember, but it may provide some seating comfort upgrades too, but again its been awhile since I looked at the package breakdown in detail. However, if it came down to either this, or something more practical like 2 or 4 below, I’d go with those other items.

2. Is it worth paying for the extended aft. It seems that it will make it easier for the kids to be getting in and out of the water. Since I won't have a port side door, it seems that it will make it easier to load from this side.

I would have this towards the TOP of my priority list as a strong YES. Even more so since you mention having kids. From movement, to putting the cover on, washing the boat, kids in and out of the boat, any water sports, or even fishing, the extended aft deck provides greater ease in all of them. Super high priory item in my mind!

3. What interior options would you choose? Are the pillow-top seats worth the extra money?

This is really a budget issue. I’d secure the following first: size boat, hull, layout/seating, motor/HP, aft deck and potentially in floor storage (if you’ll use it) as bigger priorities. If room in budget afterwards, then I would upgrade as follows: 1st = helm/helm seating (not to be selfish, but I’m the most common passenger, and main driver, so me being able to do so comfortably is a factor in others being out on it and being able to enjoy extended time on the boat), 2nd = passenger seating quality (pillow top, comfy passengers are happy fun loving passengers), 3rd = tow bars, or turbo swing, etc... for towing during water-sports IF you will doing any, 4th = practical items like pop up cleats that are nice touches, 5th = “P” Premium upgrade (papa likes to feel spoiled lol), 6th = extra bow seat IF you will use it, 7th = nice depth finder/GPS/Mapping system, 8th = changing area/toilet IF you will use it, 8th = fancy RGB lighting IF you will use it, and 9th = exterior asthetic touches.

That’s me though, and your thoughts and uses may be very different and make this a bad priority list for you and your family.

Specific to seating: Have you sat down and laid down in the different styles of seating in a dealership?

This is a must in my mind for considering seating. We found such a DIVERSITY of comfort in various styles and layouts when we were looking. One’s body size and type will also play into this, so its a very individualized item. However, you’ll be sitting most of the time, so being comfortable is a high priority.

We drove a couple of hours away and spent an entire Saturday when shopping to test things in person. We got on, felt, sat and laid down, etc. on multiple floor plans, seating arrangements and STYLES for boats sitting on a dealers floor. It’s like test driving different hull and HP configurations when debating on those factors. You cannot substitute the in person experience. We really thought there was a comfort improvement in upgrading seating, so we prioritized it a bit more in our search. It actually was a major factor in us choosing the Bennington brand, instead of 1-2 runner up competitors when we were pontoon boat shopping.

4. I'm thinking the in-floor storage is worth the extra money for a place to store my cover.

I think most everyone says YES in this forum for this option. We added it based on forum advice. Probably would not have otherwise. Because we are lakefront we could likely get away without it. However, we use it all the time. Waterskis, ropes, noodles for floating in the lake, and our cover are always in it when the boat is being used. Even then, there is still plenty of room down there if we wanted to add more into it.

Oh, and adding the extra gate seat does not increase your passenger capacity at all. That is based on some mathematical formulae representative of hull type, hull construction, materials/engineering, and such to insure safe buoyancy. Hull configuration, and model of boat (due to construction) are what impact the # of passengers, weight, and engine size you can have on your pontoon.

What he said!! It’d take me an hour to type that much!!! :)

I think so. It would not be my first priority if I had to sacrifice something practical for it, but it does add a much more plush look to the entire boat, and it does provide a lot of subtle cosmetic upgrades built into it. I cannot remember, but it may provide some seating comfort upgrades too, but again its been awhile since I looked at the package breakdown in detail. However, if it came down to either this, or something more practical like 2 or 4 below, I’d go with those other items.

I would have this towards the TOP of my priority list as a strong YES. Even more so since you mention having kids. From movement, to putting the cover on, washing the boat, kids in and out of the boat, any water sports, or even fishing, the extended aft deck provides greater ease in all of them. Super high priory item in my mind!

This is really a budget issue. I’d secure the following first: size boat, hull, layout/seating, motor/HP, aft deck and potentially in floor storage (if you’ll use it) as bigger priorities. If room in budget afterwards, then I would upgrade as follows: 1st = helm/helm seating (not to be selfish, but I’m the most common passenger, and main driver, so me being able to do so comfortably is a factor in others being out on it and being able to enjoy extended time on the boat), 2nd = passenger seating quality (pillow top, comfy passengers are happy fun loving passengers), 3rd = tow bars, or turbo swing, etc... for towing during water-sports IF you will doing any, 4th = practical items like pop up cleats that are nice touches, 5th = “P” Premium upgrade (papa likes to feel spoiled lol), 6th = extra bow seat IF you will use it, 7th = nice depth finder/GPS/Mapping system, 8th = changing area/toilet IF you will use it, 8th = fancy RGB lighting IF you will use it, and 9th = exterior asthetic touches.

That’s me though, and your thoughts and uses may be very different and make this a bad priority list for you and your family.

Specific to seating: Have you sat down and laid down in the different styles of seating in a dealership?

This is a must in my mind for considering seating. We found such a DIVERSITY of comfort in various styles and layouts when we were looking. One’s body size and type will also play into this, so its a very individualized item. However, you’ll be sitting most of the time, so being comfortable is a high priority.

We drove a couple of hours away and spent an entire Saturday when shopping to test things in person. We got on, felt, sat and laid down, etc. on multiple floor plans, seating arrangements and STYLES for boats sitting on a dealers floor. It’s like test driving different hull and HP configurations when debating on those factors. You cannot substitute the in person experience. We really thought there was a comfort improvement in upgrading seating, so we prioritized it a bit more in our search. It actually was a major factor in us choosing the Bennington brand, instead of 1-2 runner up competitors when we were pontoon boat shopping.

I think most everyone says YES in this forum for this option. We added it based on forum advice. Probably would not have otherwise. Because we are lakefront we could likely get away without it. However, we use it all the time. Waterskis, ropes, noodles for floating in the lake, and our cover are always in it when the boat is being used. Even then, there is still plenty of room down there if we wanted to add more into it.

What model are you looking at? Depending on model, it may already have the extended deck. This was a must have for us. Pillow top is definitely nice, but we didn’t want the extra folds to act as a dirt magnet. As for the cover, if you watch my video, fold it and roll it neatly, and it fits in one half of a front lounger.

Due to a small accident on my 2012 24' SLX, I'm looking at the possibility of upgrading into a new pontoon. The major reason for the upgrade is to get the newer vinyl flooring and a bit better seating configuration.

I have a few questions:

The capacity states 13. It seems that the seating is better then the SLX I'm coming from. If I had the extra door seat, will it increase capacity to 14?

Any other must-do options?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Definitely
2 & 4

1 3
Based on budget. I have the 2017 SSRCX (non P). I think it is fine without it, but if you are into amenities and have the cash for it, upgrades are always nice.
I would look at the FastBack edition of the SSRCX as well. It might have the upgraded items for it already and I really would like the out facing speakers for being in a cove.

Whew! Pretty thorough.....

I'm still looking at the 23SSRCXP. I have a question about tables. It looks like the table is now in the front of the boat vs. my current SLX has it in the rear. Is there any way to have the option to put the table in the front or rear depending on what our guests would like?

I'm still looking at the 23SSRCXP. I have a question about tables. It looks like the table is now in the front of the boat vs. my current SLX has it in the rear. Is there any way to have the option to put the table in the front or rear depending on what our guests would like?
I’d assume you could get an additional base mount and have two table locations

Your dealer can request extra table mount during build if possible, or dealer should be able to add a mount.

Back