Upgrades - time to get started

Too bad they don't run conduit of some sort, even pvc to make these installations easier. I'm finishing my Aunts basement and I ran pvc to the outlets where the TV's will be located. This way as technology changes over the years you can easily pull out one cable and easily insert another. A couple bucks now and a little time to save a lot of money and time later.

I did exactly that when I pre-wired our house. I tried to get Bennington to put a large PVC pipe in from the rear lounger to the helm, as I wanted to be able to put in my own sound system wiring for batteries, etc. Unfortunately, they couldn't seem to work that detail out at the time, basically said "no". To do it now is much more involved with the waveshield and ESP.

I did exactly that when I pre-wired our house. I tried to get Bennington to put a large PVC pipe in from the rear lounger to the helm, as I wanted to be able to put in my own sound system wiring for batteries, etc. Unfortunately, they couldn't seem to work that detail out at the time, basically said "no". To do it now is much more involved with the waveshield and ESP.

It is more involved but not hard just takes more time. I also installed Two amps and subs. That wire was hard to run since it was so big. 

Too bad they don't run conduit of some sort, even pvc to make these installations easier. I'm finishing my Aunts basement and I ran pvc to the outlets where the TV's will be located. This way as technology changes over the years you can easily pull out one cable and easily insert another. A couple bucks now and a little time to save a lot of money and time later.

Like TomS, When we built our last house, the builder let me run empty conduit from the basement to the garage attic then from there to second story attic, as chases for future uses.  Simple to do when building - not after everything is closed in. Seems like a minimal cost for ease of future installations on our pontoons. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We did the same thing with central vac. 

Nice find. It sounds like you have to add the module for $275 somewhere to get wireless or BT to your device, then the app is free.

I might have to upgrade my junction box since all 4 spots are used. I think it just plugs into that junction box then download the app. Also it talked about a web account that would give you more data. I have an old IPad so my plan is to use that. 

Strategic PVC placement for the future is a smart move.  I owned a company that sold & installed business phone systems.  Even if the company we were wiring for voice & data didn't want to pay for the PVC we would put it anyways as it was so inexpensive.  When they would call us back for changes/additions they would always understand the value of it then

How did you attach that bracket on the pontoon?  Is that 3M 3200 sealant?  or some type of epoxy?  I just did the same the, but used JB Weld epoxy, but not that much.  I was thinking of reinforcing it with the 3200 sealant and it would look similar to yours...

In the beginning of his post he said it was welded and the black stuff was to protect it.

How did you attach that bracket on the pontoon?  Is that 3M 3200 sealant?  or some type of epoxy?  I just did the same the, but used JB Weld epoxy, but not that much.  I was thinking of reinforcing it with the 3200 sealant and it would look similar to yours...

In the beginning of his post he said it was welded and the black stuff was to protect it.

They told me they welded it but I did not look under it. I will be working on it the weekend so I will make sure. I think the weather will be better on Sunday and the my other parts came in. 

I've never seen  a need to "seal" a weld. Unless they burned through the toon or something creating a hole!

ahhh, I didn't notice that. 

Yea, that is very odd...  and it's also typically welded at the edges,  it doesn't appear to be welded at the edges that is interesting, you may want to find out what is going on with that "weld".  Looks just like 3M 5200 Adhesive / Sealant.

I "cold welded" mine on with JB Weld Marine, and was considering putting that 3M over it as redudancy which is what it looks like was done to yours.  It's not as good as true weld, but shouldn't come off unless someone stands on it.

fplc,

Did you end up having to use a 10' 4pin extension? This past weekend I flush mounted the 53dv, bolted on the new transducer, and began running the transducer cable back to the unit. I found myself 5-6ft short. I would have thought the 20' of included cable wouldve been enough.

If you have a starboard bracket you could always mount it there. That would save some distance and eliminate the need for an extension.

fplc,

Did you end up having to use a 10' 4pin extension? This past weekend I flush mounted the 53dv, bolted on the new transducer, and began running the transducer cable back to the unit. I found myself 5-6ft short. I would have thought the 20' of included cable wouldve been enough.

Yes just came in the mail this week. I plan on doing it over the weekend. Looks like snow on Friday but I don't care...

ahhh, I didn't notice that. 

Yea, that is very odd...  and it's also typically welded at the edges,  it doesn't appear to be welded at the edges that is interesting, you may want to find out what is going on with that "weld".  Looks just like 3M 5200 Adhesive / Sealant.

I "cold welded" mine on with JB Weld Marine, and was considering putting that 3M over it as redudancy which is what it looks like was done to yours.  It's not as good as true weld, but shouldn't come off unless someone stands on it.

It better be welded on because that is what I ordered. I am out of town for work so when I get back this weekend I will check. They never charged me for it so I don't know what they did. 

Yes just came in the mail this week. I plan on doing it over the weekend. Looks like snow on Friday but I don't care...

Installed the 10' extension and while looming them noted that the connections on both plugs are rather easy to pull loose from the base. I'm hoping the rubber surrounding them swells in the summer heat to create a more secure hold. Did you notice the same?

Installed the 10' extension and while looming them noted that the connections on both plugs are rather easy to pull loose from the base. I'm hoping the rubber surrounding them swells in the summer heat to create a more secure hold. Did you notice the same?

Did you run the cable the route as the factory installed ?

Dealer is installing mine 

I am installing it tonight. Winter came back last week... I will let you know. It is going to be 70+ this weekend so I plan on taking it out and testing the upgrades. Should have some good pictures of the lights. 

Back