Upgrading Stock Radio/Stereo - Ideas/Advice?

Tooncrazy

Reaction score
Boat is a 2015 2275 GCW. Current system includes Sony CDXM601UI head unit and four Kicker Marine KM61 6.5" LED lighted speakers. I would describe the sound I'm getting as clear but thin..

Can I accomplish a decent upgrade by installing a Sub Woofer under the raised helm (good or bad idea) and adding an amplifier(s) for the speakers? Whatever head unit I use needs to play CD's too. 

What should I really consider for upgrades, want to keep the upgrade cost under $1K.

I'm handy and should be able to do the upgrade work myself.

I can already see that running additional wiring is tricky at best especially when dealing with my Wave Shield.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Wet Sounds HT-AS10 is the unit that Bennington uses on the factory-upgraded sound systems. It's a pricey little bugger. I have it, and am very pleased with the sound.

Crutchfield has a lot of marine audio equipment. 

Here is a link to their marine-grade subs. I'd start there and build it out as you'd like.

Audio is one of those things - there's no one right way to do it. You'll get advice from folks on here with many thousands of dollars in upgrades. 

If it were me, I'd start with adding a sub, balance everything out, and hear what might be nice to add next. If the head-unit's amp isn't using its limited power to drive base, and you roll off those low frequencies from the mains, you might be pleased with the unit's new-found strength. Or you might not, in which case round 2 will be to add additional low-mid and mid power. When you wire everything, if you want to avoid headaches in the future, leave pulling-string in the wiring chases you choose so you can just attach wire and pull it through gently in the future. Just remember to tie a new pulling string to the end of the wire when you pull the old pulling string through the chase. 

Wet Sounds HT-AS10 is the unit that Bennington uses on the factory-upgraded sound systems. It's a pricey little bugger. I have it, and am very pleased with the sound.

Crutchfield has a lot of marine audio equipment. 

Here is a link to their marine-grade subs. I'd start there and build it out as you'd like.

Audio is one of those things - there's no one right way to do it. You'll get advice from folks on here with many thousands of dollars in upgrades. 

If it were me, I'd start with adding a sub, balance everything out, and hear what might be nice to add next. If the head-unit's amp isn't using its limited power to drive base, and you roll off those low frequencies from the mains, you might be pleased with the unit's new-found strength. Or you might not, in which case round 2 will be to add additional low-mid and mid power. When you wire everything, if you want to avoid headaches in the future, leave pulling-string in the wiring chases you choose so you can just attach wire and pull it through gently in the future. Just remember to tie a new pulling string to the end of the wire when you pull the old pulling string through the chase. 
Thanks for the valuable input!

Where is your Wet Sounds HT-AS10 mounted?

I would think about adding two more of the kicker speakers and then a Bazooka tube sub woofer with built in amp.

Under the raised helm.
That's Interesting, doesn't it rattle the helm, especially the door?

Did you have to run power wires to your sub directly to your battery(s)?

I did a complete system on my last boat including 3 PC1500 Odyssey's, an onboard 3 bank charger and two amps in the bar behind the captains chair. I ran all the wires down the sides of the boat in ENT behind the aluminum pieces above the logs. It's a good way to run wires FYI.

I did a complete system on my last boat including 3 PC1500 Odyssey's, an onboard 3 bank charger and two amps in the bar behind the captains chair. I ran all the wires down the sides of the boat in ENT behind the aluminum pieces above the logs. It's a good way to run wires FYI.
Thanks for the info. What is ENT?

Thanks for the info. What is ENT?
It's also called smurf-tubing. It's a type of conduit for low-voltage systems - alarm systems mostly. But works for stereos as well.

That's Interesting, doesn't it rattle the helm, especially the door?

Did you have to run power wires to your sub directly to your battery(s)?
Yes - it does rattle the helm a bit at high volume. When I'm cranking the stereo, I open the helm door for better air flow. And I didn't install it, my boat was built with the upgraded stereo from the factory.

^^^ I did the same with my helm where I had two 12's. I cut some vent holes in the helm, but opening the door was the only way to get good air for the subs.

Back