Upgrading to Verado 250

Tom K

Reaction score
I have a 2017 24 SSRCX with a Mercury 150 4 stroke (110hours). The dealer has a used (30hours) 2018 23 SSRCFBXP with a Verado 250 that I am considering.

The main reason for the upgrade would be the HP. I have 4 boys (17, 15, 14, 10) and we do alot of tubing with a SuperMable (3 person). The biggest issue I have is keeping the speed up in the turns with the bigger boat, full load and full tube. I can tube the kids at 25mph during the straights but slow down in the turns. I fear this problem this get worse as they and their friends grow.

For those who have experience with upgrading from a 150 to a 250, is the performance boost worth the upgrade cost? I have talk to several people who went from 150 to 200 and they said it was marginal improvement at low end maneuvers (tubing).

I have a 2017 24 SSRCX with a Mercury 150 4 stroke (110hours). The dealer has a used (30hours) 2018 23 SSRCFBXP with a Verado 250 that I am considering.

The main reason for the upgrade would be the HP. I have 4 boys (17, 15, 14, 10) and we do alot of tubing with a SuperMable (3 person). The biggest issue I have is keeping the speed up in the turns with the bigger boat, full load and full tube. I can tube the kids at 25mph during the straights but slow down in the turns. I fear this problem this get worse as they and their friends grow.

For those who have experience with upgrading from a 150 to a 250, is the performance boost worth the upgrade cost? I have talk to several people who went from 150 to 200 and they said it was marginal improvement at low end maneuvers (tubing).

I have a 200 Verado Pro on our 24’ SSBXP SPS. We also tube with a Super Mable. Prior to Sea Legs, so long as I increased throttle in turns, even tight ones, it was no issue up to 30 mph with 3 people on that S.M. I just never went more than that for safety, but always felt like I could because I didn’t have the throttle all the way down.

With our Sea Legs, our weight and weight distribution has changed. I do have to go to FULL throttle in tight turns and 3 people on the Super Mable to achieve same results in tight turns. However, I can still whip 3 people around, and still in that 27-30 mph through a turn if I so choose. The only difference now is I am trimmed perfectly and at WOT in that scenario.

Because the 200 HP+ Verado Pros have those v6 with super chargers, they really do step up and perform beyond just their HP rating. I really think you’d notice a sizable improvement if it was just the 200 HP Verado PRO. However, if you step up to the 250 on the S-series, you’ll have LOTS of excess power, even with three adults on that Super Mable. If I could step up to it, I still would just to have it to play around with. :cool:

The kids like to have the SM in reverse with the wall in front. That allowed them to wrestle (full contact tubing) and throw people off the back. It does change the weight distribution of the tube and gets more weight in the front which make it less likely to plane on the water.

What way do you have the SM setup?

The kids like to have the SM in reverse with the wall in front. That allowed them to wrestle (full contact tubing) and throw people off the back. It does change the weight distribution of the tube and gets more weight in the front which make it less likely to plane on the water.

What way do you have the SM setup?

We just use ours in the forward facing manner. That would make a big difference as you mention above with getting up and planning easily. Now I want to get a load of three on ours in the reverse position to see how it tows. Maybe I can try to pull that off in two weeks when we are back to our cottage.

If the $ makes sense, moving form a 150 to a 250 Mercury Verado Pro on an S-series is going to be a big jump in performance. No doubt about it.

I just got a quote from the dealer. It would be in the $20K range for an upgrade to the boat. I like it, but I don't think I like it that much.

I have been a boat owner for 3 year and bought mine just after the boat show season. When the best time of the year to get "deals" on used boats? This one is on the dealers lot that they took in as a trade.

Other than 1 year and the horsepower what is the difference in boats. 20 apart seems like a lot to me.

Other than 1 year and the horsepower what is the difference in boats. 20 apart seems like a lot to me.

There are some big cost differences between those two boats, even if they were the same year on the lot side by side, and that’s before factoring in potential differences in options (which get expensive fast).

His current boat is a different layout, standard s-series, a 150 HP, and normal SPS hull.

Other boat is a different layout, but more expensive being a premium S-series, 250 HP Verado Pro, and SPS+ transom. I know those last three are big price hikes brand new. Our boat is the premium S-series. I have a 200 Verado Pro on a standard SPS. I almost went to the 250 version and and SPS+ hull, but it was between 7-10k just to do those two things in 2017. Going from a 150 to 250 would have been almost 11-13k more at that time. I’d be curious if someone spec’d to new versions on boat builder, with all options accounted for, what the price difference would be. I bet it would get up there pretty decently, and that would factor in two other aspects to this scenario:

Add to it 1 year newer with almost 75% less hours and potentially other options....I would have guessed an easy 12-16k difference. Thus, 20k doesn’t seem out of the picture depending on what they got in it in trade in already, or again other options pushing up the price difference.

After my dealer messed up our 2016 they offered to buy it back at full price and let me order a 2017, apples to apples. However, the price difference between those two was $19K! I said no thanks!

As for whether you'll see much of a performance improvement, Jeff is spot on. I've got a 25' ESP with a 250 Verado and never have even gotten close to WOT with tubers. That would probably approach gross negligence IMO.

As for whether you'll see much of a performance improvement, Jeff is spot on. I've got a 25' ESP with a 250 Verado and never have even gotten close to WOT with tubers. That would probably approach gross negligence IMO.

I have a 250 hp on a 25 ft Q series and we have never gone anywhere near WOT when pulling tubers. Agree that would approach gross negligence.

The boats are definately not apples to apples.

Base SX series v SXP series
Length: 24 v 23. I lose a little length, but I imagine it would help sling the kids around in turns.
Motor: 150 v 250
Helm: Standard V Raised. I have always wanted a raised helm to see over the kids sitting in the front. Also gets me the throttle in a much better spot.
Layout: Both are SSR (sort of). The new boat has two chairs up front left instead of the radius bench. I think it was custom layout or no longer available. Unique, but I think it would work for me. I love the the SSRC layouts.
Hours: 110 v 30. I seem to put 30-40 hours on the boat per year

The salesman has offered to take me on a test ride since it is a used boat. The owner was going to take it out for a weekend and before they clean it up, he was going to take me to a local lake. I don't think I can turn down that offer.

The boat sold fnew or "just under 70K". Currently $57K without the trailer, which I don't need.

I'll add to the tally for gross negligence WOT.
I've got a a 2574GL ESP with 250 verado, run about half throttle pulling tubes. Get cocky teenagers and use 3/4 throttle. They would get hurt if I used it all.
Still tell the wife we need a bigger engine. Laying the groundwork for a few years down the road when its time to "upgrade"

Smart planning for the future RunningYld! :D

Back