Upholstery and stains on a 2 year old boat.

bergmd

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, 

First time poster and new Bennington owner as of two years ago. I bought my boat in 2013 and it is already looking really  old. I use it more than most people in the summer but it still doesn't look like a 2 year old boat. It's a 24SSL with vinyl flooring.  

I would greatly appreciate any advice for removing the following stains. These pics where all taken after pressure washing. 

One mistake I made was placing a small grill on the back of the boat for a month. The rust stained the vinyl.

rust.jpg

This is on both sides of the captains chair. 

chair.jpg

These small spots are starting to pop up everywhere. 

lounge.jpg

Not sure what to do with the rust stain. You can always hide it with some snap in carpet. As for the seats it looks like mildew

For the rust you might try a product called wink but I'm not sure how it'll react to the vinyl (try a small spot first).  Or you might give liquid bar keepers friend a try on that rust stain....once again try a small spot first before going all out as I have never used these products on boat vinyl.  

For the mildew try some LA Awesome cleaner from dollar general (actually works pretty good) but dilute it with water first.  We had mold/mildew stains pretty bad on our old boat and it took about 85% of it away and the sun faded the rest.  Whatever you decide make sure to put some 303 protectant back on the seats after you are finished cleaning them.

small cleaning everytime out pays off. What do you have against pinky toes?

I start with Mean Green and a sponge.  If that won't clean it, I'll go to Zep Orange Degreaser.  From there, I'll try Awesome and a stiff brush.

And for last resort, I'll go to the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and Zep.  Magic Eraser actually has a microabrasive product in it.  On the thick vinyl floor, try Magic Eraser--or very fine sandpaper.

My problem with spots is spider droppings.  I've yet to find anything that'll get the little pin head stains out of the vinyl.

Lakeliving is right......You have mildew on the seats.....get a spray bottle w/a diluted bleach and water solution and it'll get rid of it no problem. Been using this method for yrs. now. Just spray it on wait a few seconds (you'll see it disappear) and wipe w/ a clean cloth. I also have another spray bottle w/ clean water to rinse. Just spray it on and wipe dry......use 303 or another vinyl protectant to protect and preserve your seats......

Last edited by a moderator:
Bamaman.........have you tried the Boatbrite spider dropping cleaner?!?

Wow, great responses and suggestions.  Thank you all very much! Does anyone know what is covered under the warranty with regards to upholstery? 

Manufacturers defects. Stains are not included.

bergmd, have a look in the "Helpful hints from Bennington" section. Pretty good tips in the "How to keep your interior looking nice"

As far as warranty coverage, it is for defects in materials and workmanship. Things like stitching coming loose, or seams seperating.

I am afraid it does not cover mold issues, as that is considered a customer care and use responsibility.

Do you use your mooring cover?

The upholstery is not covered for seams and stitching failure due to sun exposure.    

The mold / mildew on the seats shock me !

Cause and Effect is everything

Is the boat covered during boat season and are you winterizing . shrink wrapping in the off season

Upholstery looks like the boat is left uncovered year round

We have people doing that here with older boats 

A couple didnt even pull their boat from water this year 

Temps fell to -18F this winter

I would think with a pontoon only 2 years the boat is being taken care of 

My next question is are you storing it in an underground cave during winter

We have that as a storage option here but the humidity is quite high and some feel it takes it toll

Let us know if you find the cause

corvette2.png

Underground Storage Benefits
  • No More Winterizing
  • Constant Temperature & Humidity
  • Secure Underground Storage
  • No Ice, Wind Hail or Snow Damage
  • No Harmful Effects of Freezing & Thawing

Storing your personal or commercial vehicle, boat or RV with Wampum Underground is not only affordable,it’s a good investment. Subsurface storage can extend the useful life of your vehicle by eliminating things like winterizing and the destructive consequences of the freeze-thaw cycle.

Climate Controlled Storage
therm.png
Our climate controlled facilities are kept at a constant 65 percent humidity and 65 degree temperature, greatly reducing the chance of mold or mildew. Storage rooms are moisture and dust sealed, painted and all units are periodically checked to ensure satisfaction. All rooms are well lit, as well as entrances and exits to the storage facility.

General Unconditioned Storage
54therm.png
General Storage is available for all boats, campers, and RV’s at a discounted rate. The temperature is at a constant 54 degrees making winterization of your vehicle unnecessary. (Note: The humidity in this section is significantly higher than in our climate controlled areas.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pittsburgh......you've got the best graphics/pics!

Back