Upholstery question

JandKE

Reaction score
Live: Rochester, MN; Boat: Hutchinson, MN
This is really a boat question, but I'm hoping some of you might have dealt with a similar issue. I'm going to be selling my boat (2002 Larson 180 SEi w/ I/O) and the upholstery on the lid covering the I/O engine compartment has come loose right behind the big 'roll' at the top of the lid. It's tacked down tight for most of the lid, but about 1/3 of the width has come loose. The question is: is there some type of adhesive that can be injected into the space and then press the upholstery down with weight to hold it down? Is there some other way to deal with this? Since I'm trying to sell the boat, I don't want to have to do something expensive to fix it...
Thanks for any tips or pointers you can give me!

I haven't tried it but I have seen some Gorilla Glue in an inject able tube ,could be an epoxy .

Can you post a photo to get an idea of what it looks like. Not sure if you mean piping is coming loose or the vinyl. Is it padded or flat to a piece of backing? I’m pretty handy at repairing things, but can’t quite picture what you are dealing with. Hot melt glue can do wonders, but it’s not good on “sun” exposed items as it gets hot and releases. Contact cement must “set up tacky” before attaching 2 items. Many options, but many variables also.

Can you post a photo to get an idea of what it looks like. Not sure if you mean piping is coming loose or the vinyl. Is it padded or flat to a piece of backing? I’m pretty handy at repairing things, but can’t quite picture what you are dealing with. Hot melt glue can do wonders, but it’s not good on “sun” exposed items as it gets hot and releases. Contact cement must “set up tacky” before attaching 2 items. Many options, but many variables also.
The boat is up at the lake house...I will take pics and post next time we're up there (which will be a couple of weeks at least, since we're going to Puerto Vallarta next week!)

Back