Usage of 303 Protectorant

Stevez

Reaction score
Hey guys; I've searched here and see older threads on the 303 protectorant. Seems like everyone loved this stuff and it used to be necessary for long term maintenance of the vinyl. However, seems it is required any longer. Question is, do you still use it as another layer of protection even with the new Simtex vinyl? I purchased some as I thought, it can't hurt to give my seats a coating. Thought I'd check and see if there are any downsides to putting this on, when supposedly no longer required. Thanks.! Steve

I don't have the Simtex but it seems that most that do are not putting anything on it. Spills and such apparently have little effect and are easy to clean up.

In my experience, the 303 protectant served two purposes, helping to seal the vinyl to prevent stains and making clean up easier, and with it's UV protectant helping to keep the vinyl soft and retain its color. We used it three to four times a year on our old boat and after six years, the vinyl still looked brand new when we sold it. Our new boat has the Simtex vinyl and everything I have read says there is no need to use 303 but I didn't find anything that said don't use 303. My dealer still recommends using 303. At this point, I haven't put 303 on the Simtex but I am considering trying some on a small not very visible section. It may be that the 303 won't stick to this new vinyl since one of the properties of Simtex is that it is supposed to repel all dirt and liquids.

Last edited:
I have Simtex and do not use 303 protectant.

I have Simtex and am currently not using 303. After reading these posts I may go back to using it. Decisions, decisions

Don't have Simtex but use it once or twice a year... makes a difference. Spray a lot of it on my trailer tires every couple months to hopefully delay dry rot/cracking over time.

I won’t use the protectant. Sim Tex is so easy to clean it is not needed in my opinion. The best protectant for your seats it the boat cover. I never used protectant on my first Bennington which I had for 10 years and the seats looked like new when I traded it in. My dealer advised against using a product that is not needed.

Last edited:
I won’t use the protectant. Sim Tex is so easy to clean it is not needed in my opinion. The best protectant for your seats it the boat cover. I never used protectant on my first Bennington which I had for 10 years and the seats looked like new when I traded it in. My dealer advised against using a product that is not needed.
Also the best way to not us your Bennington every day is to cover it.

Even when I use my Bennington many days in a row it sleeps nicely with it's cover on! Using the cover and using the boat are mutually exclusive.

Even when I use my Bennington many days in a row it sleeps nicely with it's cover on! Using the cover and using the boat are mutually exclusive.
I agree. On the weekends, I may leave it uncovered if I’m going to run it the next day but definitely buttoned up by Sunday night.

My boat has never been uncovered over night. Since it sits dockside at our cottage, and I practically live at the cottage in the summer, its in constant possible use dependent on weather and guests.

As a matter of fact, it was only left “un-factory-covered” once on the first night of ownership when tucked up under neath our 30’x12’ canopy with a 2’ side curtain. Other than that first night, I even factory covered it each night before tucking it up under its old lift canopy. Now that we sold the lift/canopy, and it will just be standing up on its Sea Legs, I will absolutely factory cover it every night, as well as put my Mercury motor cover on it nightly.

It’s worth the extra 10-15 minutes each evening to keep it looking tip-top all the time IMHO.

My boat has never been uncovered over night. Since it sits dockside at our cottage, and I practically live at the cottage in the summer, its in constant possible use dependent on weather and guests.

As a matter of fact, it was only left “un-factory-covered” once on the first night of ownership when tucked up under neath our 30’x12’ canopy with a 2’ side curtain. Other than that first night, I even factory covered it each night before tucking it up under its old lift canopy. Now that we sold the lift/canopy, and it will just be standing up on its Sea Legs, I will absolutely factory cover it every night, as well as put my Mercury motor cover on it nightly.

It’s worth the extra 10-15 minutes each evening to keep it looking tip-top all the time IMHO.
Totally agree with you. I hate it when the evening due gets the seats all wet. I cover it every night also.

This weekend I did a thorough cleaning of my boat. Normally after washing I would wax the panels and rails using NuFinish but this time I tried something new, Turtle Wax, Wax and Dry. It elimates two steps, drying before applying the wax and buffing the wax after it has dried. It is simple to use, simply spray it on while the panels are still wet and then dry the panel with a microfiber cloth. It eliminates water spots and the sheen it leaves is fantastic. I am going to try it on my truck the next time I wash it.

I also cleaned the Simtex vinyl as instructed using a microfiber cloth and water. I could not believe how easy it was. It took off the residue left from sunscreen and spider poop without any scrubbing. After that experience I elected not to apply 303.

Last edited:
This weekend I did a thorough cleaning of my boat. Normally after washing I would wax the panels and rails using NuFinish but this time I tried something new, Turtle Wax, Wax and Dry. It elimates two steps, drying before applying the wax and buffing the wax after it has dried. It is simple to use, simply spray it on why the panels are still wet and then dry the panel with a microfiber cloth. It eliminates water spots and the sheen it leaves is fantastic. I am going to try it on my truck the next time I wash it.

I also cleaned the Simtex vinyl as instructed using a microfiber cloth and water. I could not believe how easy it was. It took off the residue left from sunscreen and spider poop without any scrubbing. After that experience I elected not to apply 303.

Thanks for sharing the Turtle wax advice. I am not much for waxing or buffing, so something like this sounds great. I look forward to trying it on our boat soon.

I should have also mentioned our boat is always covered with the playpen cover when not in use.

Last edited:
the turtle wax and dry is excellent I have been using it for years great for your car also very easy to use

Back