USB device will not play through radio

GregDo

Reaction score
USB device will not play through radio
This past winter we had our 21 SSX Pontoon Boat at Bennington for a re-decking. Now when I plug into the USB port on the dashboard and go in to the radio and select USB we do not hear any sounds. Does anyone have any idea as to which of the hundreds of wires under the dashboard this USB port should be plugged into? Thanks in advance for any support

Did it work prior to the re-decking? Ours has never worked in regards to playing music from phone to boat via the USB. As a result, we just Bluetooth connect it. Can you just connect via Bluetooth and not worry about the extra wire?

My 2012 radio did not have Bluetooth capability. First thing I would try is a new cable to connect the phone to the port

Make sure the “dash” adapter is plugged into the “radio” harness connection. Just trace the harness to connector from back of radio.

Ours doesn’t work for playing music either (2018 ssbxp). I think I read somewhere that it’s for charging only.

Ours doesn’t work for playing music either (2018 ssbxp). I think I read somewhere that it’s for charging only.

That is what I remember reading at some point too. Now I am wondering if I was mislead based on a couple of the posts above. Hmmm.

My main music source was playing my iTunes from my phone via cable so I know it worked

I prefer to simply leave a loaded up thumbdrive in every vehicle (pontoon, tractor as well)
So the USB port is very important to me.

Did it work prior to the re-decking? Ours has never worked in regards to playing music from phone to boat via the USB. As a result, we just Bluetooth connect it. Can you just connect via Bluetooth and not worry about the extra wire?

Yes it did. Now after working with it some more it is again working. I found that the usb stick I am using was very slow to start up due
to some bad music files on it. It was apparently reading through the bad music until it got to working music files.

As far as other post I see here, My experience with the Iphone and the usb port it is just for charging at that stage, not music playing.
As far as the input above the usb I have never tried to use that.
I like others have mentioned use Bluetooth for listing on my Iphone.

This is what my audioinput/usb looked like before it too was replaced by Bennington just for referance.

Thanks to all who replied.
1590676927930.png

If it’s a kicker head unit the USB port only works with usb thumb drives formatted in Fat16 or Fat32. Doesn’t work with phones. Below is an excerpt from the manual. Also attached the manual.

The USB input source is only available when there is a USB device
connected. The KMC2 will automatically switch to USB input when a USB device is connected and detected. KICKER recommends
SANDISK drives for the best performance. In testing, the KMC2 has been shown to work with some HDD’s, however, this is not supported by KICKER! Drives must be formatted in FAT16 or FAT32 file systems.

Attachments

• 2016_KMC2_Rev_F.pdf
    873.6 KB · Views: 11
Thanks again for the information.
Like I said abofe I found the problem. It was.
"I found that the usb stick I am using was very slow to start up due
to some bad music files on it. It was apparently reading through the bad music until it got to working music files."
Again thanks to all. Problem resolved.

@GregDo, I know this is an old post. I use thumb drives also. My 2018 21SL came with the KMC1 head unit. I loaded music to the thumb drives root directory and also added 3 more sub directories (folders) with other music. How do I change the music between the root directory and the folders? Some how it playing only from one of the folders. The manual is about useless.

Last edited:
As you may or may not know my problem was wiring and I was able to figure out what had been detached and I put it back together.
As for usb music with sub folders I dont believe you will be able to get it to work through the sub directories. Just put all on the root and
scroll through.
We found the absolute best way to play music is with our iphone and sirus and blue tooth.
Have fun.!

Back