vf250/f250/f300 mounting height

Jb75

Reaction score
Anyone out there running an x shaft yamaha on anything other than the lowest position.  Thinking of going up one pitch and raising the motor one hole.  At plane the cav plate is nowhere to be seen.  At current position I can trim almost fully before ventilation.   Do get some in tight turns if not trimmed all the way in.  

I wouldn't think raising it wouldn't hurt anything, especially if your cavitation plate is mia on plane. Without trying it you'll never know what difference it can or can't make. If you can do it yourself there's no cost just a little time. I'd try that first before dumping any money on a prop if everything else is pretty close.  I haven't been on one pontoon that doesn't cavitate/blowout under hard turns without trimming down. Just my 2 cents!

Anyone out there running an x shaft yamaha on anything other than the lowest position.  Thinking of going up one pitch and raising the motor one hole.  At plane the cav plate is nowhere to be seen.  At current position I can trim almost fully before ventilation.   Do get some in tight turns if not trimmed all the way in.  

Yes. My F300 is in the 2nd hole. I am spinning 15.5 -17 and getting good results. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. My F300 is in the 2nd hole. I am spinning 15.5 -17 and betting good results.  

Thanks alice dream.  Up one hole and to a 151/5x17 is where I think I need to be.   Spinning a 151/5x16 now at 6000 and 45/46 but the plate is buried.   I believe the vf250 (my motor) and your f300 are very similar so this helps.   

Thanks alice dream.  Up one hole and to a 151/5x17 is where I think I need to be.   Spinning a 151/5x16 now at 6000 and 45/46 but the plate is buried.   I believe the vf250 (my motor) and your f300 are very similar so this helps.   

If your anti ventilation plate is nowhere to be seen, I would go up two holes.  It is just added drag in the water whether it is 1 foot below or 6 inches below, same drag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back