Volvo Penta easy drain system

craigeo69

Reaction score
We just got our new 2017 Bennington I/O this year. It has the Volvo Penta easy drain system on it. Has anyone went through a winter with this system? If so any issues or things I need to be aware of?

Craig,

Any feedback on how the easy drain worked out for you? Trying to research the I/O now as previously I didn't give them any mind due to shortened season. How did it work out for you this fall, get some extra drays out of it?

Yes, I got a few more “comfortable” days. I asked to be one of the last ones they winterized, and it did freeze before they got there, and I didn’t have to worry about it. Here is the downside. My motor is under warranty, so I have to prove I had it winterized by an authorized dealer. I told the authorized dealer to put all the hoses back on, and they said if they find out it has been taken out before they summarize it, thier insurance will not cover any damage that may have occurred. When I bought it, I worked in the deal a free winterize/summarize, so not going to chance taking it out before they summarize. With that being said, I did take hoses off after using the self drain just to check, and it was dry. I am comfortable saying that it is going to work great after warranty is up. Just make sure to turn motor over after water drains to get water out of impeller before closing drains. The outboards maybe got 1 more day than I did, so far. Sorry about the long answer

Let me just say a little more. The boat is awesome, the I/O has amazing power out of the hole, and sounds great. I had an outboard before, and the extra room on the swim platform is priceless!!! A lot of great compliments on it.

We have a very similar set up. Didn't get ours winterized until late November. Definitely had a few extra weekends of use. We love the extra room on the swim platform as well. We went back and forth b/t the I/O and outboard and just went with what we liked best. We had a good experience with an I/O in our previous deck boat. You see a ton of both the I/O and outboard Bennys on the lake. The ride of the I/O has been great. Takes on the big waves at the lake very well. What size Volvo did you get? We bought ours off the showroom floor and have the 300 DP, and like you said, the power out of the hole was great. Ours tops out around 40 MPH. Yours? Looking forward to next summer as we just got ours in late August and didn't have as much time with it as we would have liked this year!

We have a very similar set up. Didn't get ours winterized until late November. Definitely had a few extra weekends of use. We love the extra room on the swim platform as well. We went back and forth b/t the I/O and outboard and just went with what we liked best. We had a good experience with an I/O in our previous deck boat. You see a ton of both the I/O and outboard Bennys on the lake. The ride of the I/O has been great. Takes on the big waves at the lake very well. What size Volvo did you get? We bought ours off the showroom floor and have the 300 DP, and like you said, the power out of the hole was great. Ours tops out around 40 MPH. Yours? Looking forward to next summer as we just got ours in late August and didn't have as much time with it as we would have liked this year!
We got the 350hp and top speed is about 47 mph. The dealer said it will probably increase top in speed after break-in service? Salesperson told me to do break-in service at 50 hours, but I think it should have been done at 25 hours. I agree, it is amazing how well it takes the LOTO wakes.

Yeah, ours isn't broken in yet either. Only have around 20 hours. I imagine we will be in the low 40s, which is just fine for our lake. We were passing other deck boots and open bows this summer on labor day weekend. Its amazing, during our test drive last year, the salesman found the largest cruiser on the lake and we just glided over the wake just behind it. Definitely better than our previous 26 ft deck boat. It's definitely a better ride than any 26-28 ft open bow that I've been on at LOTO!.

We got the 350hp and top speed is about 47 mph. The dealer said it will probably increase top in speed after break-in service? Salesperson told me to do break-in service at 50 hours, but I think it should have been done at 25 hours. I agree, it is amazing how well it takes the LOTO wakes.
Yeah, ours isn't broken in yet either. Only have around 20 hours. I imagine we will be in the low 40s, which is just fine for our lake. We were passing other deck boots and open bows this summer on labor day weekend. Its amazing, during our test drive last year, the salesman found the largest cruiser on the lake and we just glided over the wake just behind it. Definitely better than our previous 26 ft deck boat. It's definitely a better ride than any 26-28 ft open bow that I've been on at LOTO!.

Thought you guys with the larger I/O's would have a higher top end. Our 4.3 is in the low 40's with my wife and I onboard. But then again we are in a 2275 RL and not a heavier, longer Q.........

Thought you guys with the larger I/O's would have a higher top end. Our 4.3 is in the low 40's with my wife and I onboard. But then again we are in a 2275 RL and not a heavier, longer Q.........
Yeah, I would've thought so too. I've only opened it up once or twice with 5 or 6 aboard and hit 40-41. The extra weight of the boat and motor, and the few feet longer of drag probably is the difference. Not complaining though. The duo prop really gives it amazing power out to the hole, as has been said. Accelerates and planes out quite nicely to cruising speed.

Back