Warranty transfer?? Dealer servicing

frito

Reaction score
So I bought this 14 2575qcw in Georgia I live in ky.  Went to my local dealer and today and lady told me there was a fee for transferring warranty.. is this normal ? Also said she would have to ask owner because they usually just service what they sell and I didn't buy it there .. so they couldn't give me a price on Bimini top,, price on transferring warranty even if they will do it ..: and if they will even service it..  so what do I do if they won't i don't have another dealer within couple hrs ?? Just wondered if anyone else had this problem 

I never had a problem, been to 3 different dealers. I didn't transfer anything just told them about the issue and they took care of it. 

Sounds like a load of BS to me, that's a bummer that they don't want any additional business!

The ten year structural warranty can be transferred to the new owner if the boat is inspected by a Bennington dealer. Obviously this isn't a free service, the dealer has to get paid for the time it takes to inspect the boat. I would expect to pay at least one hour of labor at the shop's going rate.  I didn't bother with it since my nearest dealer is over 100 miles away and there wasn't enough of the ten year warranty left to bother with.

Just to clarify things,  the lifetime warranty for deck rot applies to the original purchaser only. Once the boat transfers ownership the warranty is ten years from original date of sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
To my knowledge a 2014 isn't covered by 10 year. I think only 5 year warranty is available, as 7 year was to original purchaser and had to join club at that time to extend warranty. 

My understanding is if you sell your boat, there is a small fee for the warranty to transfer to the new owner. Thus, the same if you buy a used Bennington. What transfers to you if you buy a used one and pay the warranty transfer fee is the balance on the warranty for that model year that the boat already had on it: not the extended warranty that newer boats have. Hence, the warranty time mentioned by SemperFi above.

The fee is normal, and not a dealer thing. Rather it is a Bennington thing, probably for the reasons MGK mentions above. I think the fee is a nominal charge, something like $50, so well worth it if there is any decent time remaining on the warranty.

Back