Warranty work at an alternative dealer

Becca & Rod

Reaction score
We purchased a new Bennington toon this spring. From the get go the fuel guage has read 1/4 tank lower than actual.

I have no doubt that the dealer we purchased this from here in Illinois will take care of the issue.
The problem I have is that this will require taking the toon off the river during the go season and pulling it an hour north, leaving it until I can work around a busy work schedule to pick it back up. This will take us out of the fun zone for up to two weeks.
We are going to Osage beach in the Ozarks in September so I was thinking that while there I could get the work done without the hassle. I was wrong. I initiated a call to the local dealer at the end of July and the phone conversation went like this.
"we are probably busy fixing boats that were purchased here then"
I asked can you see if there is a time during the week that you can schedule us in for warranty work?
(response) " we don't schedule ahead that far"
(me) how do you know you cannot get me in then
(response) we are probably booked upand we have never worked on something as small as a 22' so we may not have the part"
hmmm. so I started an email chain with the dealer in hopes I had talked to angry underpaid tech.
it started Aug 7th
at first the service manager was more than helpful asking for my hull number assuming it may be the sending unit to see if they have to order or have in stock.
after weeks of waiting I get an email back to fill out a customer info sheet so they can set me up in the computer to generate a work order someone would contact me in a cpl days and it would take up to 30-45 days from there. they have a big work load fixing damaged boats and getting others running that we have sold.

IS THIS NORMAL SERVICE THAT CAN BE EXPECTED UNLESS TAKEN TO THE DEALER THAT SOLD IT TO YOU?

Unless it's the off season then the boats the dealer sells (his or her customers) will come first. You're not going to get the same treatment as if you bought the boat from them. It's the same in the car business, the dealers money is made at the time of sale and not on warranty work.

So, from what you are saying is that dealers do not make money on warranty work and you can expect this to happen if you did not buy the boat from them? I wish I would have known this before purchasing. They should probably let a prospective buyer know this fact so they can make a decision ahead of time.

as far as same as car dealers? They do enjoy the work and they do generate revenue with warranty work. They also have the opportunity to earn your future business if they provide a great experience representing the manufacturer they provide warranty work for. I take my Ram to a local dealer I did not purchase it from and will more than likely give them a chance on any future purchase I make.

I would think that with 45 days of advanced notice, I could get a simple fuel sending unit replaced. It is less thank an hour of labor.

Now I know and thank you for reaffirming what I thought.

Suppose they ordered a sending unit and you brought them your boat and that wasn't the problem?  Maybe it's the guage. Maybe a loose wire. While working 35+ years in Porsche and Mercedes dealerships (technician), those who purchased from the dealer came first.

I got ya. Makes sense and I would assume if a Mercedes customer called you 41 day in advance you would tell them that it is unlikely you would be able to even schedule them for a service appointment? I think not!  The initial response in July should have been the clue that thy have no interest in backing their manufacturers warranty unless you purchased from them. That is the issue. The issue is not what is wrong with the toon, , it is the acceptance that when you fly the Bennington flag, all Bennington boat owners are their customers. You may earn their business on the next purchase. What you are saying is basically if you don't buy rom them do not expect the same service. Thanks for your response and again it backs up what I initially thought.

It is what it is. And it is as you are suspecting.

I'm not here to say it's good...just saying it is what it is.

On a 4Winns previous boat, I needed a bearing replaced under warranty on a Volvo SX drive unit, while on vacation in the Ozarks. The boat was making horrible noise.

I initiated a call to the dealer there that serviced Volvo warranty work.

My call started with "I didn't buy the boat from you, I'm on vacation, and I'm willing to pay extra above and beyond your warranty reimbursement...I need your help please..." 

They fixed my boat. I paid an extra $150 in cash, to the tech that squeezed me in. My vacation was still a vacation.

Money talks.

It is what it is.

-Jeff

That is great and I would grease their palms to get my boat on the water also in an emergency. Should not have to but it is what it is right. We are talking about over a months notice and told that they could not get me in before checking a schedule in which he said they did not have that far out. Thanks

One other thing...this is not a operationally-critical fix. 

It can be done pretty much any time.

Not only do the dealers try their hardest to service their own boat-buyers with limited resources during a short season...they also tend to bend over backwards to get an operationally-critical repair done so-as not to shorten an already short boating season (at least that's the way it is up here in our great white north). There are in-season repairs that are unavoidable. And there are off-season repairs that are not. I don't want to appear to be minimizing the gas gauge. But there is an easy workaround. Just subtract a 1/4 tank until winter. And when you see 1/2 a tank...get gas. 

Honestly, I know that sounds snarky. But it's not meant that way. Being a boat dealer is harder than it looks.

I got ya. and thanks. I did not take it as snarky, I know now to purchase closer to home for warranty reasons and hope there is not a point where you move to another area for Bennington warranty service. Maybe it is not a Bennington issue but part of what comes with boating. Thanks Jef

I may have sounded snarky but this is the first time I have had an issue and did not expect this result. Thanks to all of you for taking a moment to respond

What model is your boat and where is the fuel tank?

22sf 2014 fuel tank is accessible under the rear sink/cleaning station on the stern in front of the motor. I have checked all connections to the tank sensors and pump they seem to be secure

On mine I can see the tank under the rear lounger, and easily ascertain the fuel level. I use that method as much or more than I use the gauge. If it didn't work at all I wouldn't lose time during the short boating season to repair it. I really do not trust gauges and sending units that are  bouncing around in a marine environment since I got stranded 40 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico 20 years ago. On that day my gauge said 1/4+ tank, which in the past meant 50+ gallons of fuel left. At 2 MPG I had enough to finish the trip from Tampa to St Marks (Tallahassee) with some to spare without detouring to a marina near Keatons Beach.  Didn't work out that way, I hate to think of what that fuel cost me per gallon on that day. So, gauges are only glanced at now, I look at the tank. Anyway, my dealer is almost 2 hours away, so I repair most things myself or wait until I can get to him maybe once a year.  I agree with JeffS, use it until the season is over, then get it repaired.

22sf 2014 fuel tank is accessible under the rear sink/cleaning station on the stern in front of the motor. I have checked all connections to the tank sensors and pump they seem to be secure
Take the wires off the sending unit and see what the guage reads.

Back