Parzival

Reaction score
I was going to post awhile back about a few issues that I had with our new 2014 2250 GBR.  I decided to hold off and write up a summary of the entire process after it has been completed and that time has come.

Quick summary: Small ripples in the Aqua Teak flooring appeared; Bennington approved a warranty claim for replacing the entire floor; work was expertly performed by the great folks at River City Sales in Portland, OR; the customer is super happy!

The whole reason we chose Bennington was because we’re new to boating entirely.  We were willing to pay the premium to purchase a Bennington largely because of the warranty.  When you don’t know what you don’t know, this warranty looks very attractive.  However, you really don’t know how good the warranty is until your boat is put in the position of having to make a substantial claim.  

Some background:  We took delivery of the boat from existing dealer stock late in the season last year.  We were able to get the boat out a couple of times before the weather turned and we found a few problems. We had some minor issues with the boat initially and a larger one where the helm had a hydraulic leak.  All of these were quickly addressed by our dealer.   After the second time out on the boat we noticed that the Aqua Teak was rippling in a couple of places (see photos).

After reporting the problem to our dealer with some photos, they immediately opened up a warranty claim with Bennington.  I had expected that the flooring would be solved by somehow injecting more adhesive under the ripples and then applying pressure.   However, my dealer and Bennington felt that replacing the entire floor would make sure the issue didn't reoccur.  

The factory shipped an entirely brand new Aqua Teak floor to my dealer.  To be honest, I was a little worried about anyone but the factory making this kind of significant repair.  My lack of faith was misplaced, because our dealer completed the work expertly.

We have receiving the boat back and have already taken it out for a nice cruise on The Columbia River.  Everything is absolutely perfect with the boat now.  I’m so happy that we chose Bennington and that we’re lucky enough to have a great dealer to work with.

There was a hidden bonus to the repair.  Apparently, the speaker system wasn't properly wired when we first took delivery of the boat.  The radio worked but it was pretty difficult to hear, even with the engine idling.  Now the radio sounds fantastic!  

Thanks to Bennington for standing by their product and to River City Boat Sales (Portland, OR) for being an exemplary dealer both during the selling process and more importantly, the large warranty claim process.  They even sent progress photos of the work that I've shared below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats and great to hear.

I have the exact full Aquateak deck in mine. Delivery on April 27th. Was it ever determined what caused your problem. Was it on the deck seams? Did anyone mention that they've seen this happen on other decks? Did it seem to happen overnight or gradually? This forum is great but it can make you a little crazy sometimes. Thanks for your input.

For what it is worth to the Bennington folks that hopefully monitor this forum... There are some QC issues with boats that should never be. Related to this thread... My stereo was also all kinda'messed up. Every wire was connected to something...just not the right thing. I had to redo it all. No cutting or soldering just unhooking and reconnecting every wire to the right mate. And my power assist pump was never wired. It didn't come loose...it was never connected. Love the warranty as well, but Benny needs to keep in mind it is a chore to take the boat in for warranty service on things that should be obvious in QC. Great to hear all turned out well on your floor!

I have the exact full Aquateak deck in mine. Delivery on April 27th. Was it ever determined what caused your problem. Was it on the deck seams? Did anyone mention that they've seen this happen on other decks? Did it seem to happen overnight or gradually? This forum is great but it can make you a little crazy sometimes. Thanks for your input.
I didn't get any feedback. Sorry. It happened over time; perhaps a few months.

Since this was a new option for 2014 and this is likely one of the first boats produced with this floor, I believe you'll be just fine. We absolutely love this flooring! It has grown on me.

For what it is worth to the Bennington folks that hopefully monitor this forum... There are some QC issues with boats that should never be. Related to this thread... My stereo was also all kinda'messed up. Every wire was connected to something...just not the right thing. I had to redo it all. No cutting or soldering just unhooking and reconnecting every wire to the right mate. And my power assist pump was never wired. It didn't come loose...it was never connected. Love the warranty as well, but Benny needs to keep in mind it is a chore to take the boat in for warranty service on things that should be obvious in QC. Great to hear all turned out well on your floor!
Not trying to dilute your statement. Some assembly happens at the dealer. With that being said, it should not matter. Each dealer should be well versed in the assembly of the boat, and the work instructions should be detailed enough that it can be done by your Average Joe.

I like to hear of issues as others may learn from them. Glad it was taken care of. Boat looks great!

Thanks for posting this. Wild to see all the photos from the tear down. I've been dreaming of ripping out my carpet and replacing it with seagrass or vinyl and that just proves to me that it is never going to happen! Also very cool that your dealer is competent enough to do all that. I don't even trust my dealer enough to let them change my oil. 

It's unfortunate that such a large chunk of QC is left to the dealers, many of which just don't know what they're doing like someone working only with Bennington day in and day out. My power assist was never connected either. Most of the members on this forum probably know a lot more about Bennington than anyone at my dealer. Really seems like they shouldn't be doing the final assembly and stamp of approval on the boat without better training.

Couple of mentions about "power assist pumps" in this thread, is that hydraulic steering?

Couple of mentions about "power assist pumps" in this thread, is that hydraulic steering?
There are 3 types: Cable steering, hydraulic steering (much better), and power assisted hydraulic steering (much much better). The hydraulic can be upgraded later to add power assist.

No. It adds on top of hydraulic.

Very glad I searched this subject and came across this post first. We took delivery of our Benny around June of this year. It has been parked for a few weeks now for winter (If what we have here in Az could be considered winter). I took it out and removed cover to deliver to dealer for some items that were to be fixed but not so important it couldn't wait till we were not using as much. While removing the cover I noticed a ripple in the Aqua Teak flooring directly behind the Captain's chair from one side to the other. When I got to the dealer and we were discussing work to be done I brought it up thinking that this was an adhesive problem. As the service writer was looking he expressed serious concern as he could feel what he described as a ridge underneath the ripple. he said he would contact Bennington immediately and get back with me with the next move. I will keep the forum updated as I am. 

If it's not right, Bennington will fix it. That is the reason you bought the best!

It will be fixed. Mine was already stripped down to the cross members. Factory did a great job.

We just got our boat back (just over a week ago) from being returned to the factory for some warranty work because we had a problem with our carpet on the bow coming apart.  Let's just say that Bennington took very good care of us and made sure the boat was back to 100% (actually better than that) before they sent it back to us.  

Thanks Again Bennington !!!

Take a look in my gallery.  My teak floor had to be replaced.  In fact they had to replace the wood and whole deck from the rear loungers back.  Never did figure out what the root cause was.  But the wave shield pieces on both sides of the motor pod were bent up.  Yet no marks no nothing on the motor pod so it wasn't like we hit anything.   Bennington was great to deal with but took dealer almost 9 weeks to fix it.  Within a month or so, the wave shields popped again in the same spot.  Bennington actually put a production fix in place after it happened again on my boat to re-enforce the wave shields in those areas'.  On a twin Eip boat, the rivets are about 10" to 12" apart that hold the wave shield to the support members.  In the area's they popped up, the span was over 18" between rivets.

Todd

Very glad I searched this subject and came across this post first. We took delivery of our Benny around June of this year. It has been parked for a few weeks now for winter (If what we have here in Az could be considered winter). I took it out and removed cover to deliver to dealer for some items that were to be fixed but not so important it couldn't wait till we were not using as much. While removing the cover I noticed a ripple in the Aqua Teak flooring directly behind the Captain's chair from one side to the other. When I got to the dealer and we were discussing work to be done I brought it up thinking that this was an adhesive problem. As the service writer was looking he expressed serious concern as he could feel what he described as a ridge underneath the ripple. he said he would contact Bennington immediately and get back with me with the next move. I will keep the forum updated as I am. 
Update... Turns out Bennington and the dealer have decided that the floor needs to be completely removed and replaced. I was also told they will be replacing some of the plywood underneath. The issue now is that Bennington and the dealer can not agree on the price to do the work. If no agreement is reached it will go back to the factory to have work completed. Although I think I would prefer the work done here and I have complete confidence in the dealer to do so it's mainly so I can see exactly what the issue is. I just want the process to move forward so that I can be operational by summer.

While it's disappointing to have this issue with your boat, it seems having both wanting to fix it is a good thing  :)

Bennington stepped in to remedy situation with the dealer. They did a great job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Push come shove I think you would be much better off to have the manufacturer do the work.  Good thing is that is going to get done regardless.

Glad to hear!

Back