wasp nests under rails

lkin

Reaction score
I parked my new 20sl in my driveway last week, and today had three wasp nests under the top rails (formed while the cover was on). Not a big deal, but the boat will be at a marina (valet service) and covered for a week or two at times, so it will probably happen again.

Anyone have a preventative solution?

They also love to slip up into the ends of the bimini, so be careful when you unzip / raise the bimini. They can make a mess in there quickly and it is very difficult, if not impossible, to get the stains out. I'd like to find a solution myself, so I'll be watching this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use dryer clothes (like Bounce)- stuff them in the ends of bimini cover, in between seat covers, etc. I read this advice on another pontoon site two years ago, having been doing it ever since, and have not had a wasp, bee, bug problem at all.

I've been doing the same as Friar, only I intended to keep any moisture smell away. Everyone else at my storage unit had wasp problems and I just thought I was lucky. Guess I now know why!

I also use the dryer sheets for the same purpose. I use sticky traps to catch any wondering spiders too. So far so good.

We use the dryer sheets for winter storage to keep the critters away. I guess it works for insects too. We'll try it! Skeptic, which sticky traps are you referring to? Thanks for the suggestions.

You could try those paper hanging wasps nest somewhere nearby, I think they say that wasps won't make a nest where others ones are. Dunno if it works, never tried them.

Back