Water in Gas Tank

slinkyredfoot

Reaction score
90 hp Merc on an SLx. Starving for gas put new fuel pump in. Ran fine for a day then started sputtering again in somewhat of a different way. Do not have Bennington Dealer on our lake so the boat has been to a reputable marina here. After taking the boat in for second time now I am told there is water in gas tank. Drained old gas with water put new gas in ran fine for a short time and started sputtering again. More water in tank. Any ideas from anyone how water might be getting in???
Frustrated and thank you

Where is your fuel tank?

How often are you running it? What type of fuel are you using? Are you using any stabilizer in the fuel? Where’s fuel coming from?

Last edited:
Another post recently mentioned that water was being forced into the tank vent under the deck by a vent hose.
Not saying this is the cause but just trying to find solutions as this is too soon for water to be condensing in the tank even with ethanol fuel...
I am also assuming that the boat has an adequate fuel filter besides the one on the engine and that it has been changed as well....

I plan on going over tomorrow. I suggested a pressure check on the tank. The thing that befuddles me it just started with this. Have 300 hours on the boat and never had an issue before

How about the place your buying gas? Lots of Marinas have leaks in there tanks that don't show till the end of the season when they run them low for the winter. A large marina here in Michigan had that happen.

I plan on going over tomorrow. I suggested a pressure check on the tank. The thing that befuddles me it just started with this. Have 300 hours on the boat and never had an issue before

Sound to me like you getting some bad fuel. Stabilizer won’t fix a large amount of water in fuel and fuel/water separator can only separate so much till it’s useless and needs changed. Did you change it?

Back